Did you ever have your bike stolen if so what happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Check out these guys for good information and education about bike security. https://securityforbikes.com/

I am afraid it won't be very reassuring but will give you a good idea what you are up against. Their D lock appears to be good and a reasonable price and you can purchase various different lengths of shackle which could be useful. Otherwise a New York Kryptonite type lock is a good choice for high risk locations. Although myself if I was leaving a bike in the city center I would purchase the cheapest and crappiest bike I could find.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have recently bought a road bike currently it is on my balcony but when i go to uni it will be Kept in a bike shed and a might sometimes be locked in the city briefly. I am really worried about bike theft so I want to educate myself on this matter.
I am a vegan and I like animals however I am not sure that it is relevant.
Have you researched insurance yet as your other posts?

byegad

Legendary Member
Pros steal to order. A late friend of mine lost his recumbent tandem trike to one. They broke into his garage, ignored about £15ks worth of folders, uprights, racers and a recumbent trike (solo), taking his tandem trike, worth about £5k. By the time it was discovered, the next morning, it would be miles away. Despite a hue and cry among the recumbent community, which is small and the recumbent tandem one smaller still, it never resurfaced. We suspected it had gone abroad.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Check out these guys for good information and education about bike security. https://securityforbikes.com/

I am afraid it won't be very reassuring but will give you a good idea what you are up against. Their D lock appears to be good and a reasonable price and you can purchase various different lengths of shackle which could be useful. Otherwise a New York Kryptonite type lock is a good choice for high risk locations. Although myself if I was leaving a bike in the city center I would purchase the cheapest and crappiest bike I could find.
I see they recommend the Restrap belt holster for D-locks. I actually have one but stopped using it when it was pointed out to me that falling on a mini-D strapped to the base of my spine would solve my bike security problem permanently, by paralysing me from the waist down.

lane

Veteran
However what interest me is that the lock below is claimed Motorcycle grade. But having that lock and the New York Forgetabout...

The New York lock the shackles are quite a bit thicker

DIB D-Lock Suitability
The SFB DIB-Series compact D-Locks are proper Motorcycle-grade D-Locks

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Doesn't "motorcycle grade" just mean "really heavy so you need a motorised vehicle to carry it"?

figbat

Slippery scientist
All this talk of super-mega-gold-diamond-titanium-rock-hard locks is irrelevant when they are used to secure your bike to mild steel street furniture...
1593525335298.png

You can bet the grinder went through each of these bars in seconds. I've also heard (anecdotally) that such frames may be pre-cut and have a sleeve or sticker placed over the cut so the rascals can come back and help themselves at will.

As for the noise and sparks, there are plenty of videos on FaceTube of motorbikes being nicked in broad daylight, watched by phone-wielding onlookers as the perps grind their way through whatever security is in place.

lane

Veteran
Don't think so

Security Ratings/Approvals
The SFB DIB D-Locks have the following approvals: Sold Secure Motorcycle Gold, Bicycle Gold, Quad/ATV Gold, Motor Scooter Gold and are also Police Preferred Specification. (Approvals are pending for the DIB-260.)

lane

Veteran
Yep I know someone who chained their bike to the railings with a good lock. Came back to find the railings cut.

Drago

Legendary Member
My friend had his expensive motorbike stolen, he had an anchor point in his parking spot wall, alarm and CCTV but the bike still was stole...
Yet he did nothing to protect the perimeter of his property, and once they're over the threshold they can work quietly and unobserved. That's a failure of planning by an amateur, not an illustration of "if they really want it theyll take it."

Top Bottom