1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Didn't change gear once today

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Twenty Inch, 19 Sep 2007.

1. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Decided that if I'm going to get a fixie, I'd better start riding like I'm on one. So I didn't change gear and tried not to freewheel at all today. I only changed gear once yesterday on the long downhill to Bromley South station.

It's tough, this single-speed pedalling, isn't it? It's not the pull-away, but the mad spinning on the downhills that tuckers me up. I was in a higher gear than I realised today, so I'll try not to change on the way home too, although it's a slightly different route and there's a short but nasty hill on it.

Fun.

2. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Well, I decided to go fixed when I realised that 95% of the time I only used two gearings defined by changing the chainring (it was an old 10-speed to boot).
    What single-speed gearing did you do your experiment with?

3. OP
    OP
    Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I have no idea. I must find out though, as it would be a useful guide for the fixed gearing.

4. palinurus

palinurus Guru

I didn't change gear this morning either. I've got downtube levers and I was too lazy to reach for them this morning. 52 or 54 (whatever it is) x 23 felt perfect to me all the way in. Haven't got round to sorting the hack out with a little chainring and a front mech yet.

When I had a singlespeed I went 42x16, probably about 70". If I were to do it again I'd go mid 60s because I have to go uphill some.

5. Blonde

Blonde New Member

Not changing gear isn't the same as riding fixed - you'll find you are able to pedal a higher gear on fixed than you'd have been comfortable with on a geared bike with a free hub.

6. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

the spinning/high revs are much easier on fixed, you don't have to try, just relax.

7. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I decided that I'd do the same as you on my last ride on my geared bike in West Yorkshire to see how I got on sticking to one gear, before commiting to a particular ratio on my new singlespeed bike. The chosen gear of 39/15 felt okay on small Yorkshire hills, but I really struggled on a 15% climb. I got up it but it didn't feel good. I wouldn't want to make a habit of riding s/s or fixed round there!

There aren't any really big hills where I'll be riding the s/s in the midlands, however, so I decided to stick to my chosen ratio and brought the bike down to Coventry yesterday by train. I then rode the bike up what had been my local 'killer hill' when I was a teenager. I used to have to get off halfway up that hill and walk the rest so I was pretty chuffed to whiz up it aged 51 in a 39/15 gear with a heavy rucksack on my back and into a headwind :biggrin:.

I was surprised how much fun it was riding a nice simple bike again. I imagine that riding fixed would feel great but I wouldn't trust myself not to stop pedalling in an emergency, and I wouldn't like going downhill either.

8. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

hi colin.

in london i ride 48:16 fixed on my bob jackson. however, having ridden around hebden bridge and other places, i'd go for something like a 42:18. if i do move out of london i'd want to go somewhere flat so i can still push the big gear. otherwise i'd be spinning out on the hills. i guess in the hillier areas it makes more sense to go SS.