Diet during prolonged period of not cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok I have learn't what to eat whilst I am riding each day in th esummer, and even though I am stuffing myself with 'sensible' carbs I am still losing weight...great!...But the winter is coming and although the plan is to keep riding each day i fear it my not always go according to plan. So I wondered what I should be eating whilst not riding for a few weeks so that i dont pile on the pounds and also to keep my new muscle 'collection' from reverting to jelly!?

Would I be right in saying that a low carb high protein diet would do the trick?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Not a diet expert, and am currently carrying the odd extra pound due to not following my own advice, but I'd hugely advocate the GI diet, or the principles of it for ongoing sensible eating. About to start GI-ing tomorrow (after I finish this cheesecake) in preparation for our trip to India...it's a brilliantly sensible approach to eating, but unfortunately cheesecake isn't advised.

515mm

Lower-carb diet is okay with reservations. I'll try to be brief. I used to be portly, but I'm on the way to svelte.

I eat very little carb after 6pm. Dinner is lean meat with loads of fresh veg which is filling ;). I eat every 3 hours but fewer calories than 4-hourly meals - low fat ideally but always plenty of protein. This keeps the munchies away.
During the day, slow-release carbs (jacket spuds, sweet spuds, couscous, wholemeal bread - not much pasta please) keep energy levels up and chocolate cravings away.
After a ride I have a chocolate protein shake made with half a pint of skimmed milk. If I do end up with uncontrollable chocolate cravings I have one of these. Legal chocolate!;) You'll find that you'll keep your hard-won muscle and probably gain more with exercise. I find that I recover much faster, my legs ache less and I'm gaining power. This has shut the faces of my p*ss-taking cycling mates!
I use the EAS one. It's not too expensive and tastes nice.

For more practical help, try my brother-in-law! www.stevehalls.co.uk
He's a personal fitness trainer with lots of experience and offers practical, real-world advice. I may be a bit biased but he really is a smashing bloke.

Good Luck!

515mm

Sorry, this is probably obvious but I should have mentioned that your total calorie intake should drop also, if you exercise less. Go to the gym though and you won't have to - Hurrah!

Oh, and if you find that you are so hungry you crave chocolate (or whatever unhealthy thing you favour) because you've missed a meal and you really, really have to have it. Have it! No amount of apples will make up for a hot bacon sandwich. Just don't have too much unhealthy food and don't feel guilty about it. Remember to plan better next time.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Many thanks...well the plan at the moment is to ride down to the local swimming baths, swim as far as I can and ride back. If I combine that with a couple of rides a week and a decent diet, and leave out the booze I am hoping I can pick up in the spring where I am leaving off now in terms of fitness and distance riding, rather than have to go back to square one.

..Only thing is the local baths aren't the sort of place I want to leave my bike outside...it's chav city down there....so I'll have to dig out the rusty old mtb and use that.

515mm

Carrying a sodding great big heavy chain and U-lock will only help the fitness. Are you a good swimmer? I'm pants at it and can only manage two lengths before collapsing and having to grip the edge of the pool like a frightened toddler. Hence the indoor rowing. Exercising sitting down with zero chance of drowning!

Typically, Mrs 515mm swims like a bloody dolphin.........;)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I am not a good swimmer, but I can swim better than most I see at the baths. When i was in mt teens i was doing 100 Lengths of a 30m pool 4 times a week at skool, never got me anywhere though:biggrin:

Big Bren

I've upped my running lately in preparation for Winter; I'm no jessie, but I don't expect to be able to cycle as much over the coming months and like you BFTB, I don't want to expand outwards or lose fitness.

I'm also planning to hit the gym a couple of times a week to do some upper body/core training - I plan to emerge from my cocoon in Spring 08 looking like a Greek god. Probably.

Bren

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Last Feb, my wife and I started doing this BritMilFit thing: http://www.britmilfit.com
... and it is brilliant ! Basically, it's running around in a public park, doing chest, abs and leg exercises under the guidance of current or past British Military Physical Training Instructors. It has the great benefit of being in the open air - much nicer than a gym - and, with a monthly assesment, easy to monitor your progress. The instructors only shout to give instruction or encouragement :blush: and it's very sociable too (the fellowship of sufferers ??)

Your shape/fitness level doesn't matter but a right attitude helps.
At age 50+, I am probably in better shape than ever :smile: - and I used to be a professional oilfield diver. I have a knee injury, so haven't been able to do any running for a few months but that has not stopped me doing all the rest.:smile:
... and I can eat the donuts !:o):biggrin:

I am not connected with BritMilFit in any way, other than as a very happy and fit punter !

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Cathryn said:
Not a diet expert, and am currently carrying the odd extra pound due to not following my own advice, but I'd hugely advocate the GI diet, or the principles of it for ongoing sensible eating. About to start GI-ing tomorrow (after I finish this cheesecake) in preparation for our trip to India...it's a brilliantly sensible approach to eating, but unfortunately cheesecake isn't advised.

Why diet for India? Its bugs will do it for you when you are there with relentless efficiency! I speak as someone whose healthy weight is around 75kg and came home from there weighing 54.

Top Bottom