Difference between mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My new Giant Defy Advanced has hydraulic discs and they are mighty good - I had total faith in them coming down a 20% hill yesterday. The downside is that the handlebars are blessed with a Starship Enterprise like shape up front - ugly as hell....

View attachment 447059

There was a kit that came with the bike however which I can only assume lets me replace this unit with a normal stem and therefore mechanical braking only.
I can't quite figure out what's going on there. Is it a cable to hydro conversion? Could you perhaps show another photo from a different angle? Doesn't look ugly to me at all, looks quite businesslike.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I can't quite figure out what's going on there. Is it a cable to hydro conversion? Could you perhaps show another photo from a different angle? Doesn't look ugly to me at all, looks quite businesslike.

Yes, it's a converter. It's ugly from the driver's perspective but I will get used to it....

2018-giant-defy-masonry-bars.jpg

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Which reminds me, I lost a part of my left brake mechanism on Sunday - need to find the spares (Shimano Tiagra Brifter Double Left Front Cover)...

Cable disk brakes vary a lot and you get plenty of low end "wannabe" models. A decent one stops about the same as a V brake in the dry and not much different in the wet.
With one sided activation you need to adjust the static pad to be as close as possible.
My Shimano cable disk brakes have been reliable and dependable for 10 years of all weather commuting.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The only thing that will improve going downhill with cable disc brakes is your Yodaling!! Though it may well sound like a terrified scream to some..:laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
That's pretty cool, never seen one of those before. Thanks.

It's Giants in-house system by designed by Tektro; cable to the convertor and then hydraulic.

Stopped me buying another Giant last year as there is nothing online about how to maintain them.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's Giants in-house system by designed by Tektro; cable to the convertor and then hydraulic.

Stopped me buying another Giant last year as there is nothing online about how to maintain them.

Giant did their own MTN bike hydraulic brakes back in 2003. Badly designed and the hydraulic fluid would overheat and you'd get serious brake fade on any Welsh mountains you happened to be riding on. The brake manufacturers have got better with hydraulics now to stop the heat getting transmitted to the fluid.

Levo-Lon

Guru

It will be straight forward.
Res at the bar and fill there.
Bleed as normal.
It will simply be a 2way master like on any duel system. So you get single brake failure protection.

I think it's really good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The only thing that will improve going downhill with cable disc brakes is your Yodaling!! Though it may well sound like a terrified scream to some..:laugh:
More like YEEEEEEHHHHAAAA!!!
After doing a 30 mile mountain descent in Spain with cable disc brakes on a fully loaded touring bike, I have 100% confidence in them. If they can handle that they can handle everything. BB7's are great cable disc brakes.

byegad

Legendary Member
My Kettwiesel came with BB5 brakes. They were truly dire. I swapped them for BB7s and they are great, easy to set up, powerful enough to stop a large trike with large rider in the wet with no dramas, and unlike the BB5s, I didn't have to adjust them every 5 minutes to avoid drag.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
More like YEEEEEEHHHHAAAA!!!
After doing a 30 mile mountain descent in Spain with cable disc brakes on a fully loaded touring bike, I have 100% confidence in them. If they can handle that they can handle everything. BB7's are great cable disc brakes.
Cable disc brakes can be really good if set up right and not contaminated (just like hydraulic really).
I had a hire bike fitted with Tektro cable disc brakes when visiting the Alps last year (2018 Specialized Diverge E5 disc) and did some enthusiastic (and some not so enthusiastic) riding down very twisty, long descents in monsoon conditions and the brakes were always confidence inspiring. Can't imagine they would be any less suitable when off-road.

Drago

Legendary Member
What brakes are they, not all are created equal obviously.
Personally I only use TRP Spyre mechanicals which rock...because I like cross lever brakes which you can’t have with hydraulics...besides most hydraulic hoods are super fugly and look ghastly on a roadbike

Indeed, some of the opposed piston jobs work excellently, as do some single piston calipers when properly set up and bedded in,

Top Bottom