Difference between mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's Giants in-house system by designed by Tektro; cable to the convertor and then hydraulic.

Stopped me buying another Giant last year as there is nothing online about how to maintain them.

Tektro understands brakes and usually uses mineral oil. I'm sure it won't be complicated, where's your sense of adventure? I'm guessing now, but I would imagine a single reservoir serving two master cylinders. What's there to maintain, other than the odd clean up at the caliper side, which is the same for all other styles.

I think Tektro is onto something here. I know it isn't the first, but this thing is damn elegant compared to the first one I saw from Hope. That thing looked like a milking machine under your handlebars.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As an aside Giant say that their system stops 25% better (not entirely sure what they mean by that) than Shimano hydros - but they fit their own brakes on lower end bikes whilst still fitting Shimano on their higher-end bikes.

As an aside Giant say that their system stops 25% better (not entirely sure what they mean by that) than Shimano hydros - but they fit their own brakes on lower end bikes whilst still fitting Shimano on their higher-end bikes.

Well, that's just BS. Any brake that can lock the wheel and get you over the handlebars has already exceeded the amount of brake force required.

Some brakes are better than others, but not because they stop quicker. They feel better, they're quieter, they perform linearly wrt to heat or other influences, they require less maintenance, etc etc. But more brake force is never desirable once you are over a base line. Every single brake Shimano produces is over the base line.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, that's just BS. Any brake that can lock the wheel and get you over the handlebars has already exceeded the amount of brake force required.

Some brakes are better than others, but not because they stop quicker. They feel better, they're quieter, they perform linearly wrt to heat or other influences, they require less maintenance, etc etc. But more brake force is never desirable once you are over a base line. Every single brake Shimano produces is over the base line.

I don't disagree with you.

The claim was on the Giant USA website when I looked last year - at the time I was in the market for a new bike.

I don't disagree with you.

The claim was on the Giant USA website when I looked last year - at the time I was in the market for a new bike.

@Yellow Saddle

Here you go - I got the figure slightly wrong.

It was a 21% improvement in dry conditions not 25%.

They also claim 36% better in the wet!!!

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/conduct-brake-system

I don't/didn't doubt you. I see ridiculous claims like those all the time. Not just in cycling but everywhere.
We are bombarded with junk science from every single angle in life.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't/didn't doubt you. I see ridiculous claims like those all the time. Not just in cycling but everywhere.
We are bombarded with junk science from every single angle in life.

To be fair it was not presented as science.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Another vote here for TRP Spyre mechanicals, easy to setup, easy to service, pads seem to last forever.... not saying the same might be true of any given hydraulic, but if I can lock up a wheel at will and with complete feel and modulation of what is going on then I can't see how an improvement in effective braking force makes any difference, except possibly if I had an issue with fade on downhills and needed more oomph for that.... but it hasn't ever been an issue.... That said my current daily rider is caliper at the front and disc at the back and even on carbon wheels I can pull a stoppy under complete control on that caliper brake...

Top Bottom