Differences in sentencing for murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
This clearly NACA-style thread has been Removed. :angry:

If you want to discuss matters of this type, there is a whole Forum for you. :wahhey:

Please use it.
Will this one remain open?

winjim

Smash the cistern
This was not a political thread and it's nonesense on stilts to suggest it was.
The forum has its own internal politics and this thread reflects that.

Edit: hang on, do we mean 'this thread' as in literally this thread I'm writing on, or 'this thread' as in that thread, the now deleted one? Because that thread was definitely political, this one only in the internal meta sort of sense which I was joking about here.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

Edit: hang on, do we mean 'this thread' as in literally this thread I'm writing on, or 'this thread' as in that thread, the now deleted one? Because that thread was definitely political, this one only in the internal meta sort of sense which I was joking about here.
I meant this thread.

Every themed forum I am aware of has a general chat forum. It does require a fair amount of moderation. That's a given. Going off-topic, de-railing or hijacking are the common issues. Politics and religion are items that are not usually allowed which does makes sense. Current affairs on the other hand is always in as it drives conversation and keep people informed. Remove current affairs and you gut the general chat sub-forum.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water is not the answer. I would not be wrong to say that over 90% of the issues in the old sub-forum was bipartisan politics. Even religion was not an issue despite the disagreements. Helmets was second to bipartisan politics. Current Affairs without politics was never an issue.

The recent long running thread on fuel shortage is a case in point. It was current affairs but no one was dying on their sword. I appreciated that it was allowed as it was topical and informative though the situation was tense.

The answer is not as simple as going over to the new NACA. What is required is some effort and investment in moderation on current affairs that is not politics related. Fully aware that if current affairs is allowed, it will take oxygen out of the new NACA. 2 leading lights from the new NACA and from both sides of the political divide came to same conclusion.

Anyway it is a good experiment.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Every themed forum I am aware of has a general chat forum. It does require a fair amount of moderation. That's a given. Going off-topic, de-railing or hijacking are the common issues. Politics and religion are items that are not usually allowed which does makes sense. Current affairs on the other hand is always in as it drives conversation and keep people informed. Remove current affairs and you gut the general chat sub-forum.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water is not the answer. I would not be wrong to say that over 90% of the issues in the old sub-forum was bipartisan politics. Even religion was not an issue despite the disagreements. Helmets was second to bipartisan politics. Current Affairs without politics was never an issue.

The recent long running thread on fuel shortage is a case in point. It was current affairs but no one was dying on their sword. I appreciated that it was allowed as it was topical and informative though the situation was tense.

The answer is not as simple as going over to the new NACA. What is required is some effort and investment in moderation on current affairs that is not politics related. Fully aware that if current affairs is allowed, it will take oxygen out of the new NACA. 2 leading lights from the new NACA and from both sides of the political divide came to same conclusion.

Anyway it is a good experiment.
I respect all that and you're not wrong, but I was really just making a joke about the use of the word 'politics' and how any organisation, even this chat forum, necessarily has its own political structure.

What is required is some effort and investment in moderation on current affairs that is not politics related.

Are you aware of what you (and those clamouring for Current Affairs) are asking for?
People who signed up to moderate chats about cycling are having to moderate sniping and digs at other users and themselves often on threads opened specifically for the purpose.
I wouldn't be surprised if such "effort & investment" ultimately resulted in less moderation. Where would that leave us?

It's not up to "Management" to provide more resources - it's up to the community to display some basic common sense and respect.
And to follow the rules we agreed to when we signed up. (One of which is no commentary on moderation). And another is no back seat moderation 😊

We're on the internet folks, there is no shortage of places to engage in discussion on current affairs. Or to read up and be informed.
I'd go so far as to suggest that there are far better places for Current Affairs than CC given the profile of the typical user in terms of age, nationality and gender.

But if you really want to chat about it with folk you know from here NACA is a click away.
I am failing to understand the resistance to going there.

Britain (and it's not alone in this) has become incredibly polarised in the last number of years. And that polarisation is not about bicycle helmets and high viz.
Surely it's a good thing to have a place free from that polarity?
(I'm not sure that this polarity is not being strategically and systematically created).

"No politics. No religion." The basic rule of every good pub I've ever been in.

*Not specifically directed at you.

Fully aware. When Shaun made known the intention to close down NACA after the second life, I started a thread to have current affair allowed with no replies to keep the general membership informed on topical things.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/c...ng-only-no-replies.278952/page-3#post-6516340

With "no replies" means that little or no moderation required.

But now you're asking for more effort and more investment in moderation?

It's CycleChat. There is no obligation to keep people informed.

It's a discussion forum. What's the point of posting something that nobody can or should comment on?

NACA -> It's right there. One click. Are you a member there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom