Different 9-speed chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Incidentally - always choose KMC over Shimano's own branded chain. They do various different models for each speed, from budget though to the very lightest and most expensive. Their quick links are the best IMO, and a much better system than Shimano's frangible pin.
Is it possible to use a SRAM/KMC powerlink on a Shimano chain (instead of using the Shimano pin)?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes - from KMC Q&A:
tipsquestion.jpg
Is KMC Missing Link compatible with Shimano chain, Sram chain, or Campy chain?
tipsanswer.jpg
Yes, KMC constructs Missing Link I, II, 9, and 10 for 7.3mm, 7.1mm, 6.6mm, and 5.9mm respectively; all Missing Links are compatible with Sram, Shimano, and Campy equivalent chains.

When fitting a new chain I get rid of the OEM link and fit a KMC as a matter of course, Shimano and Campag.

Also on the subject of Shimano chains when you break one of them do you need a special rivet to rejoin the chain again
Not sure on 9 speed chains TBH, I only use 10 speed on one bike and my other bike is 1/8' fixed.

You definitely need a special 'rivet' for rejoining 10 speed chains though, like THIS, but TBH the easiest way is to just use a quick link like THIS.

They also do the quick links for 9 speed chains too, see HERE :thumbsup:

2old2care

Über Member
Is it possible to use a SRAM/KMC powerlink on a Shimano chain (instead of using the Shimano pin)?
Yes, first thing I do is to put a KMC missing link in the chain. Those Shimano pins are trash, the only chain failure I've had was due to one of those pins.

Oops didn't read to the bottom of the page!:whistle:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think you need to be careful buying quicklinks too. The one CRC sold as 8 speed didnt fit on my 8 speed set up, I think because the chains arent specifically 8 speed rather 6,7,8 etc. You can check the chains pin length on KMC etc website and buy the corresponding quicklink :smile:

I think you need to be careful buying quicklinks too. The one CRC sold as 8 speed didnt fit on my 8 speed set up, I think because the chains arent specifically 8 speed rather 6,7,8 etc. You can check the chains pin length on KMC etc website and buy the corresponding quicklink :smile:
I'd always thought that 7 and 8 speed chains were exactly the same.

Isn't this true?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Top Bottom