Different kinds of passes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Recently I've noticed drivers going all the way over to the right hand side almost clipping the kerb or ending up in a ditch. I'm not complaining I feel honoured to be given room but it can be so excessive. It's like one extreme to the other.
Then there's the drivers which could easily get past but they're over cautious and just hang on your back wheel for ages making you feel uncomfortable. They've just no confidence. It's not rocket science and I'd like to see more consistency but ohhhh well.

Drago

Legendary Member
I always try and get all 4 wheels beyond the white line, same as I would when overtaking a car.

I steadfastly won't overtake until I think its safe, but I wont crowd the cyclist and half well back, which also affords better visibility, more time to gather speed, and more opportunity to safely abort the manoeuvre if something unexpected occurs. This is exactly the same as most drivers don't do when overtaking anything.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I noticed one car pass me yesterday with its hazard lights on, which it then turned off when it pulled back into the lane in front of me. Everything else was very sensible - the car gave me plenty of room when it over took and when it pulled back in, so it was not an aggressive act. There was a car following it so I guess it might have been indicating to this car. I wonder if any one else has noticed other car drivers doing the same thing ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am also noticing an increase in oncoming drivers clipping their kerb or verge as they pass me. Maybe the space message is getting through and we also need one to remind them to stay twelve metres behind us until passing?

Not seen the hazard lights thing yet but have noticed an increase in indicating right while passing.

dfthe1

If it's safe and I'm able, I always move fully unto the oncoming lane to overtake a cyclist. I give them the maximum room safely available. I also think it sends a clear message to following drivers that giving space to cyclists is the right thing to do, and I tend to see the next few cars in my rear view mirror give a wider overtake than the cars I'm following.

Cupotea

I've noticed an increase in passes with all 4 wheels over the line but it tends to coincide with a high-speed (not illegally fast, just national speed limit areas) pass with nothing coming from the other direction. When traffic from the other way is involved, the ratio of near to far drops quite a lot. Still, it's good that some people are being nicer.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Generally it's been better this year so far than in previous years.
That's not to say there aren't still the nobbers out there, but I have noticed more people moving to either straddle the white line, or completely over into the other lane - both are fine with me. It's the hesitant (inexperienced?) ones who seem unsure what to do, sit on your back wheel and then made a desperate lunge to get past, often in the wrong gear, that worry me most.

There's nothing more disappointing than giving a cyclist a nice, wide pass, only to look in the mirror and see an Audi driver then giving them less than a metre.

If I see that happen, I can feel obliged to reduce my speed for the next couple of miles...:whistle:

If it's safe and I'm able, I always move fully unto the oncoming lane to overtake a cyclist. I give them the maximum room safely available. I also think it sends a clear message to following drivers that giving space to cyclists is the right thing to do, and I tend to see the next few cars in my rear view mirror give a wider overtake than the cars I'm following.
Same here.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am also noticing an increase in oncoming drivers clipping their kerb or verge as they pass me. Maybe the space message is getting through and we also need one to remind them to stay twelve metres behind us until passing?

Not seen the hazard lights thing yet but have noticed an increase in indicating right while passing.
Oncoming?

Seriously, they are driving the opposite direction and push further over to let you past?

Slick

Guru
More people cycle now, so many of the drivers described may ride themselves or have close friends or family members who do.
Definitely possible. I know for instance, I'm the only cycling commuter at my work, and after many discussions over the past couple of years I know that all my colleagues are now much more aware of the impact a close pass can have on a cyclist or even why one guy in particular will choose to cycle on a very busy road instead of the crumbling mixed use pavement. I suppose it's just one driver at a time.

Then there's the drivers which could easily get past but they're over cautious and just hang on your back wheel for ages making you feel uncomfortable. They've just no confidence. It's not rocket science and I'd like to see more consistency but ohhhh well.
I appreciate those drivers but what irks me is the muppet behind who has been held up for 30secs and takes their frustration out on you :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom