Different thickness of saddles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Until I exchanged my Flite Classic saddle for a Charge Knife I hadn't realised that different saddles have different thicknesses or heights. I went out and soon sensed that my legs were too bent. Put the seatpost up by 5mm but when I got home I checked with a caliper and found the Flite to be about 13mm higher than the Charge. It felt more comfortable at the right height too as my arms were taking more weight.

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, I have a measurement from BB centre to top of saddle, which - being a little shortarse - is precisely 20.4". Seatpost position isn't enough if you are changing saddles.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes - some of the lighter 'racier' saddles are very much less height - Selle Italia SLR, Velo Pro, for example, so before you change measure your BB centre to top of saddle. (+1 above). The rails can also be longer/shorter, so also take a bars to saddle nose measurement.

TechMech

Globalti what do you think of the Knife? I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these, so how would you rate it?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hard to tell because I only did 20 miles and I still had the seat too low. It's certainly no less comfortable than the Flite and after 20 miles my bum wasn't aware of it in any way. It does look nicer and it weighs 20gms less, if that matters to you!

The next ride might be Sunday so I'll come back on here.

Top Bottom