Digital Mobile Wallet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
This whole thing is inruigung to me as a non smartphone earner. Ive asked Mrs D is she has it, and she says her phone can do it but shes never botherered to set it up as she doesnt exactly find toting a card about an onerous chore, particularly as some paypoints - like petrol pumps - still require you to physically insert the card anyway.

So, interesting. If I ever get a bump on the head and acquire a smartphone i may try it out.

D

Deleted member 1258

@Drago 's phone is so dumb it can't knock anything out.. 🥊

Not unless he throws it. ^_^

Jody

Stubborn git
I use Google Pay on my phone or Samsung pay on my watch. Both work as intended and haven't let me down as yet but if I remember right the phone limit is kept fairly low unless you unlock it.

I've used cash once since lockdown. Crappy cafe that didn't do contact free and is well behind the times and standards of decent cafes now.

I have Google pay on the phone but just take a pocket money card with me. Normal bank card is in my wallet at home but each month I have a standing order to transfer money to my First Direct account and I can use that out and about.

What happens if your phone loses battery or breaks ? A card is smaller.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do people still do that? That’s so old school :laugh:
Drive up, open the app, choose your pump number, thumb on Apple Pay, get out of car, fill up, get into car and drive away. Avoids all sweet/ chocolate buying opportunities.
Although youre not supposed to use your phone on a petrol station forecourt, either within or outside of the car. I doubt thats enforced though.

How do you pay with no signal or no battery?

OldShep

Über Member
Although youre not supposed to use your phone on a petrol station forecourt, either within or outside of the car. I doubt thats enforced though.
The instructions are to do it within the car before you get out.
I then leave it on my seat, pick it up getting back in to the message 'you have paid'
I imagine the service isn’t available at stations without a signal and a phone with a flat battery when you’re in a car? Really ^_^

Both Samsung Pay and Apple Pay have the same features.

1. None of your actual card or personal details leave your phone and cross over to the merchant system accepting payments. Only token details cross over. So your actual data cannot be used for fraudulent activity by the merchant, the staff or anyone that hacks into their system. Just look at the receipt from the merchant and you will see none of it matches your card. The merchant cannot also do another transaction without your phone.

2. All your transactions are recorded on your phone so you don't even need a receipt or keep one for record.

It's the fastest and most convenient way to transact.

icowden

Veteran
Any recommendations for Android phone?
Any reservations/problems experienced etc?
Worth having?

Android Wallet works fine for me, to the extent that I haven't used my actual bank card for about a year now.
Depending on your phone, you may find quirks. I have a had a few occasions since upgrading to the Pixel 4a 5G where the NFC doesn't kick in leaving me to reboot my phone while shoppers glare at me. This is apparently a fault with the Pixel 4a rather than the wallet system however.

In my view, definitely worth having.

icowden

Veteran
How do you pay with no signal or no battery?

The "no using your phone on the forecourt" is complete rowlocks, just like the "put your phone in flight mode" on aeroplanes. It's made up. No mobile phone has ever blown up a petrol station (*unless linked to the timer of a bomb in a Hollywood blockbuster). There is no reason why it can be on inside the car but becomes magically dangerous outside the car unless you are in the shop.

If there is no signal or no battery you are stuffed. That's when you get the emergency card out of your phone wallet / back of your phone case ^_^

icowden

Veteran
I use Google Pay quite happily, have done for a long time. Don't even think about it most of the time, it just works and there is now no limit on the contactless so

That's not true strictly speaking. Contactless payments were limited to £45 but that is being increased to £100. However, when using Google Pay or Apple Pay, those limits don't apply as the device carries extra security (i.e. you have to unlock your phone). A secondary limit can be imposed by the vendor for contactless payments also.

si_c

Guru
That's not true strictly speaking. Contactless payments were limited to £45 but that is being increased to £100. However, when using Google Pay or Apple Pay, those limits don't apply as the device carries extra security (i.e. you have to unlock your phone). A secondary limit can be imposed by the vendor for contactless payments also.
Yeah that's kind of what I meant, badly phrased however. The signs at the checkouts usually say contactless £45 no limit on your phone. The phone is the easiest choice a lot of the time just because it's rare I don't have it.

Top Bottom