Digital Mobile Wallet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
That’s always puzzled me and Snopes says it’s false.

Yup - you'll still see a sign on every forecourt though. I got yelled at about 6 months ago for using my phone whilst fuelling at a Sainsbury's Petrol Station forecourt (I was on a Conference call and didn't really give it a second thought). Loud woman wasn't having it at all. "it's illegal" (it isn't), "it's dangerous" (it isn't).
I did snap a little and ask if she had a mobile phone in her pocket and if so, was it switched on?

But as I said, I get massively annoyed by airline staff making you put your phones / laptops / tablets away for takeoff.

I think mythbusters tried to get a mobile phone to spark a fire. They couldn't do it under normal conditions either.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've used cash once since lockdown. Crappy cafe that didn't do contact free and is well behind the times and standards of decent cafes now.

I have Google pay on the phone but just take a pocket money card with me. Normal bank card is in my wallet at home but each month I have a standing order to transfer money to my First Direct account and I can use that out and about.

What happens if your phone loses battery or breaks ? A card is smaller.
If your phone runs out of charge you can still use NFC (Near Field Communication) to make payments. Of course if you run out of this small residual charge that runs the NFC then you can't then make payments. If you break your phone I think you're screwed (as you would be if you broke your debit card)

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think mythbusters tried to get a mobile phone to spark a fire. They couldn't do it under normal conditions either.
I think they set up a load of phones inside a transparent structure and introduced the most potentially explosive gas/ air mix possible. They then rang all the phones and tried everything they could but found it impossible to trigger an explosion.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
There is no reason why it can be on inside the car but becomes magically dangerous outside the car unless you are in the shop.

The reason for prohibition of phone usage on a fuel station forecourt is similar in reason as to why (non hands free) mobile phone usage whilst driving is unlawful. Phone usage on a forecourt can be distracting Forecourts can carry upwards of 300,000 litres of flammable fuels and vapours Its pretty self explanatory to me that someone distracted on there phone whilst refilling their car may create an instance where public safety could be compromised.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Just no! I will continue to carry a wallet with real money in and never succumb to card or phone only payments. I am a troglodyte though.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I like to see and have the actual money in my hand. I will not even buy things online and use my card just at cash machines. I just dislike the automation perhaps.

Top Bottom