Digital ultrasonic cleaner....read on if you're a mad keen home mechanic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have This one, 10L. They are as good as you'll get for the price, I've also seen quite a few YouTube mechanics and restorers use the same brand. Manage your expectations though, they are mostly excellent for cleaning stuff that can't be scrubbed e.g carbs, fiddly parts and anything where scrubbing would damage them.

Have a look on YouTube for a guy called bikespeeds. He films loads of bike cleaning videos and uses an ultrasonic cleaner. If you listen to him, he gives out loads of hints and tips on what to put in and what not to put in.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Thread res…

I am seriously considering one of these bad boys. Any more updates or anecdotes? Thinking 6 - 10 L size range should be good for most stuff. Budget, say under 100 quid, ideally. I have seen a few on Amazon, all very similar but subtly different, are there any particular brands that stand out?

Bear in mind that they don't last forever especially if used frequently.

I wouldn't bother for bike bits myself.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have This one, 10L. They are as good as you'll get for the price, I've also seen quite a few YouTube mechanics and restorers use the same brand. Manage your expectations though, they are mostly excellent for cleaning stuff that can't be scrubbed e.g carbs, fiddly parts and anything where scrubbing would damage them.

Your linky not worky :smile:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've noticed harmonica players use small ultrasonic cleaners for their (non-wooden comb) harps

I've never bothered, as you can only do one at a time and I have sooo many

I think one of these larger ones may work :becool:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bear in mind that they don't last forever especially if used frequently.

I wouldn't bother for bike bits myself.

We've had ours in the lab longer than I've been working here.

Bear in mind when we're cleaning mass spec parts first we use two grades of abrasive, then a going over with Autosol, then a clean to get the Autosol off, only then do we sonicate in solvent. Stuff's already clean to the naked eye by the time it gets to the sonicator, certainly clean enough for bike parts.

Don't bother sonicating anything that's not metal either, plastic for instance will just absorb the ultrasound frequencies. I'll occasionally chuck a sticky check valve in but that's often just to get me by until I can order a new one.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
We've had ours in the lab longer than I've been working here.

Bear in mind when we're cleaning mass spec parts first we use two grades of abrasive, then a going over with Autosol, then a clean to get the Autosol off, only then do we sonicate in solvent. Stuff's already clean to the naked eye by the time it gets to the sonicator, certainly clean enough for bike parts.

Don't bother sonicating anything that's not metal either, plastic for instance will just absorb the ultrasound frequencies. I'll occasionally chuck a sticky check valve in but that's often just to get me by until I can order a new one.

Can't imagine yours was 70, or even 200 quid off Amazon though Jim😊

Last edited:
Top Bottom