Diluting meths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Quick question, I could google, but where's the fun in that?:rofl:

What's the ratio for diluting meths to reduce soot? I have 5% water in my mind, just wanted to check.

And will it be ok to decent some into a standard small mineral water bottle?

djb1971

Legendary Member
I don't bother diluting meths anymore. Some meths is already diluted when you buy it.

It reduces the boil time and when undiluted the meths hardly creates loads of soot. Just wipe the pans on the grass or with a small cloth. You don't get any extra meths by diluting because it takes longer to boil so you use the same in the long term.

Don't put it in a bottle that can be burst or may leak, the meths smell on your kit will never go away :rofl:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks for that. I'm not even sure I'll take the Trangia this weekend, we'll be eating out, but it would be a good first run for it, just to make tea in the morning.

djb1971

Legendary Member
If you need a small bottle try to get one from the chemists that has something like surgical spirits in. They are normally thick plastic and melt proof ;)

A chemist may even stock proper meths not the purple stuff, try to get a small bottle of it. It burns cleaner, lights easier and you'll have a small bottle to refill afterwards.

btw, diluted meths is a swine to light when its cold! but I use a firesteel not a match.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah, cheers for that. I may have something suitable just for this weekend, as we're driving there's less capacity for mishap. I can look out for a stouter plastic bottle in the recycling next week.

I have a firesteel too, got it for Christmas, and apart from striking a few sparks into the sink, I haven't had a chance to use it yet!

djb1971

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I have a firesteel too, got it for Christmas, and apart from striking a few sparks into the sink, I haven't had a chance to use it yet!

They're great ;) especially at night. Reminds me of sparklers from when I was a kid!!

If you have trouble lighting the burner with it, put the lid on and put it in your pocket for a couple of minutes . The extra warmth ignites it straight away.

For some reason a brew always tastes better on the Trangia rather than a gas burner. Have a good weekend :ohmy:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers. I've not used the Trangia yet, I got it after seeing Piemaster use his last summer. I think it was mostly the dinky kettle that did it.;)

djb1971

Legendary Member
They are great. I too love the little kettle ;)

They add to the fun of camping/hiking. I love the fact that there's no hurry, unlike flicking a switch on the kettle at home.

If you enjoy using it you should look at the mini, it fits into a large saddle bag for day trips out. Just nice for 1 or 2 people on a day ride.

btw a good fuel bottle is the cheap metal drinks bottles that halfords etc. sell. They do 2 sizes and meths doesn't rot the rubber seals. They also fit into a bottle cage .

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
djb1971 said:
btw a good fuel bottle is the cheap metal drinks bottles that halfords etc. sell. They do 2 sizes and meths doesn't rot the rubber seals. They also fit into a bottle cage .

D'oh! I have a Sigg metal bottle! I could use that, I assume?

Although I think it's a bit large for a weekend supply. How much meths does it take to boil a kettle? (mine's the 27 series, the smaller size)

I like the sound of the mini one - is that smaller than the 27?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
A Sigg bottle would be perfect. I use a Trangia bottle which is also very good.
I've just done 3 days away and used about a quarter of a litre, but that was leaving it burning to warm my hands up as it was failry cold at night.
As said above, i don't bother diluting, can't see the point really.

Brains

Legendary Member
Scout Rules:

About 10% water in UK menths, and a bit more in French meths

How to measure.
Fill up the Trangia burner with meths to the top
Wait a few seconds and the level will fall as the outer chamber fills
Top off with water

If cold, then top off again with a small amout of meths and light immediatly (Meths is slightly lighter than water, so pure meths lights faster, whereas meths/water mix can be difficult to light when cold)

djb1971

Legendary Member
To boil a full kettle I should say about 12mm in the bottom. Just pop the cap on to the burner ( not the screw top ) and it'll extinguish, you can then let it cool down and put the screw cap back on or pour the meths back into the bottle.

I usually fill the burner and that gives me enough to boil a full kettle and do a bit of cooking/warming through . DON'T fill the burner if you run out of meths when it's still hot.

The sigg bottle will be fine because that has a rubber seal on the top. The small Trangia is just a mini stand/sheild burner pan & teflon frying pan. It hasn't got a kettle but the the frying pan fits onto the pan to help it boil quickly.

Top Bottom