Dimension Data Relegation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
options:-

UCI reneges for another year
Di Data go to CAS and appeal succesfully on the basis they have more riders with points than say, lampre
Di Data go down but still get invites due to Cavendish and others being big riders who everyone wants in their race

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I wonder whether their stars such as Cavendish, EBH, Cummings etc. have a get-out clause in their contracts if Dimension Data get relegated. Although they may be of course committed to the ethos of their team in its importance in developing cycling and helping children in Africa, which I believe they are.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I suspect there will be the usual fudge and DD will stay up and the UCI's attempts to reduce team numbers will be delayed or never implemented. it's bizarre considering that they couldn't find enough teams a couple of years ago...

oldroadman

Veteran
Here's a silly idea from an old bloke who knows nothing. Rank the teams in order from UCI points. Organisers of WT races have to invite the top 15 teams, plus any others in the top 30. Dump the WT,Pro-Conti, Conti, just rank everybody. Rank the races for points, WT, Conti Tour, Conti, National. Simple and dat. And not complicated enough plus UCI don't have to "discuss" who is in and out. The organisers decide who they want outside top 15 for a WT race, Top 8 for a CT race, anyone they want otherwise. No bar on top ranking teams riding major national races in their home country. All too easy I suppose.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Here's a silly idea from an old bloke who knows nothing. Rank the teams in order from UCI points. Organisers of WT races have to invite the top 15 teams, plus any others in the top 30. Dump the WT,Pro-Conti, Conti, just rank everybody. Rank the races for points, WT, Conti Tour, Conti, National. Simple and dat. And not complicated enough plus UCI don't have to "discuss" who is in and out. The organisers decide who they want outside top 15 for a WT race, Top 8 for a CT race, anyone they want otherwise. No bar on top ranking teams riding major national races in their home country. All too easy I suppose.
sorry, but there's one basic flaw in this seamless argument. Show me the money!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there are easy ways out of this. ASO could simply invite Dimension Data to the Tour and the Vuelta - Cavendish is a crowd puller, particularly since he pretty much has to win stages next year. That's where the sponsorship money is, not on the Tour of Poland. Or, daft as it sounds, DD could persuade Cancellara out of retirement for six months and Boom! they have points a-plenty.

I like the idea of calling the Bahraini outfit Team Torture.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Tell me if I'm romanticising, but wouldn't it me a good gesture of the UCI to support Qhubeka/Dimension Data's work and retain them as part of the World Tour next year. This would go some way to bring back some feel-good factor back into the sport in light of the ongoing TUE saga.

Top Bottom