Ding-dong bell, meet brake lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycloslalomeur

So I´m building cheap bike for a friend around one of those Planet X pig-iron frames (La Quelda) and an Automatix back-pedal brake hub, with one Tektro RL 340 brake lever thusly facing unemployment. I do have one of those massive ding-dong bells knocking about, so came up with the plan of mounting it on the headtube and simply threading a cable through the bell´s trigger. The bell has a fairly robust return spring. I was thinking of doing away with the faff of mounting a cable stop by simply gaffertaping the outer tightly around the handlebar. Has anybody else done something like this? I found a couple of old threads but they were mostly about taking the weewee out of the idea. Someone had posted photos but they´ve been removed by the photo-hosting site.

The way I see it, this unholy alliance between lever and bell has the twin advantages of leaving the bar uncluttered and of having a finger on the bell´s trigger most of the time. Until you crash with a cheery ding-dong soundtrack...

alicat

Legendary Member
No, sounds ugly and aesthetics matter to me.

Couldn't you do something more elegant with longer screws or slim cable ties?

OP
OP
C

Cycloslalomeur

:smile: Why though? Handlebar tape would cover the gaffertape and the amount of force required to ring a bell is a fraction of that required to stop a bike with a caliper, so shirley the cable outer would stay in place if taped from the brake all the way to the stem. Or maybe not. If it slips, plan B is a band-on cable stop around the handlebar at the stem and a V-brake noodle from the small parts bin.

I was thinking of using a jubilee clip, fastened to the bell´s M3-threaded holes, to fit the bell itself on to the headtube.

Obviously there´s a vacant cable stop under the top tube and one could easily fasten the bell upside down and front to back under the top tube, but I like the idea of having that huge bell facing in the direction of travel like car horns do.

davidphilips

Veteran
The mtb that i use for around town has brakes that really squeal, i could adjust then to remove the loud noise but i like it that way as it acts in some what a similar idea to a bell when braking.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Then put your bell adjacent to the cable stop where the back brake was, and use a gear cable inner to ensure it's slippery. Drill the fietsbel thumb doodah, thread and knot with figure of eight. Bingo, ringo. Ehm...dingo?

OP
OP
C

Cycloslalomeur

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXswIbWA7Y

As I said above, the proper place for one´s ding-dong is fore not aft. Yes, I had planned on using a gear cable. Does a figure-of-eight knot hold? I just built up a recumbent and just couldn´t thread the front mech cable the right way around so just used a clamp at the lever end. Good job, I´ll try the knot next time round.

But wait, he (the chap I´m building this bike for) now says he wants a Cube Attain Disc frame so no lever-ding-dong bondage action for him then. Now I want to rebuild one of my own roadbikes as a fixeeh just to have a lever-actuated bell...

Top Bottom