Ding-dong bell, meet brake lever

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Cycloslalomeur, 28 Feb 2018.

1. Cycloslalomeur

Cycloslalomeur Well-Known Member

So I´m building cheap bike for a friend around one of those Planet X pig-iron frames (La Quelda) and an Automatix back-pedal brake hub, with one Tektro RL 340 brake lever thusly facing unemployment. I do have one of those massive ding-dong bells knocking about, so came up with the plan of mounting it on the headtube and simply threading a cable through the bell´s trigger. The bell has a fairly robust return spring. I was thinking of doing away with the faff of mounting a cable stop by simply gaffertaping the outer tightly around the handlebar. Has anybody else done something like this? I found a couple of old threads but they were mostly about taking the weewee out of the idea. Someone had posted photos but they´ve been removed by the photo-hosting site.

The way I see it, this unholy alliance between lever and bell has the twin advantages of leaving the bar uncluttered and of having a finger on the bell´s trigger most of the time. Until you crash with a cheery ding-dong soundtrack...

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  2. alicat

alicat Guru

No, sounds ugly and aesthetics matter to me.

Couldn't you do something more elegant with longer screws or slim cable ties?

3. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

gaffertape the outer cable.....for that reason , I'm out

wonderloaf likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Cycloslalomeur

:smile: Why though? Handlebar tape would cover the gaffertape and the amount of force required to ring a bell is a fraction of that required to stop a bike with a caliper, so shirley the cable outer would stay in place if taped from the brake all the way to the stem. Or maybe not. If it slips, plan B is a band-on cable stop around the handlebar at the stem and a V-brake noodle from the small parts bin.

I was thinking of using a jubilee clip, fastened to the bell´s M3-threaded holes, to fit the bell itself on to the headtube.

Obviously there´s a vacant cable stop under the top tube and one could easily fasten the bell upside down and front to back under the top tube, but I like the idea of having that huge bell facing in the direction of travel like car horns do.

5. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

I think it would be help those of a positive disposition if you published an image of this bell

6. davidphilips

davidphilips Senior Member

The mtb that i use for around town has brakes that really squeal, i could adjust then to remove the loud noise but i like it that way as it acts in some what a similar idea to a bell when braking.

7. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

8. OP
    OP
    Cycloslalomeur

9. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

Then put your bell adjacent to the cable stop where the back brake was, and use a gear cable inner to ensure it's slippery. Drill the fietsbel thumb doodah, thread and knot with figure of eight. Bingo, ringo. Ehm...dingo?

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

All this talk of connecting a lever to your ding-dong is making me wince.

User1252 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Cycloslalomeur

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXswIbWA7Y

As I said above, the proper place for one´s ding-dong is fore not aft. Yes, I had planned on using a gear cable. Does a figure-of-eight knot hold? I just built up a recumbent and just couldn´t thread the front mech cable the right way around so just used a clamp at the lever end. Good job, I´ll try the knot next time round.

But wait, he (the chap I´m building this bike for) now says he wants a Cube Attain Disc frame so no lever-ding-dong bondage action for him then. Now I want to rebuild one of my own roadbikes as a fixeeh just to have a lever-actuated bell...

12. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

I'm not sure if I'll sleep at all well until you post a picture of the finished result....

13. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

I think it sounds like a fun idea! Let me know how it turns out, it seems very practical and unexpected!

woodenspoons likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Cycloslalomeur

Will do but it´s going to take a while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice