Dipping a toe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
A lot of bike should it pass the tests

I've no reason to suspect it is stolen, but I'm just not 100% convinced on the current owner and its also been resprayed (very well, and with full on-one livery) so I'm gonna pass on it. It's that gut instinct thing.

The good news is, I'm going to view a Santa Cruz Chameleon with Fox 120mm 32s 1x10 XT and XT wheels on Saturday. Getting a little bit excited now and can't wait to go and fall off it.

Nibor

Bewildered
I've no reason to suspect it is stolen, but I'm just not 100% convinced on the current owner and its also been resprayed (very well, and with full on-one livery) so I'm gonna pass on it. It's that gut instinct thing.

The good news is, I'm going to view a Santa Cruz Chameleon with Fox 120mm 32s 1x10 XT and XT wheels on Saturday. Getting a little bit excited now and can't wait to go and fall off it.
The Santa Cruz is very exciting.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
This is the bike I'm off to see tomorrow, anything I should be obviously looking for? I'll do the usual roadie checks, true wheels, sturdy BB etc.

Any tips on telling if the fork is shagged?

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 63

Jody

Stubborn git
I really do like that! With it being a MTB don't be surprised of the wheels have a little wobble on the rims.

As for the forks. Ask him when they were last serviced, by who and if there is any evidence. Its an easy enough job to do at home so don't be too alarmed as long as he has used good quality or genuine fluid. Check stanchion wear (scratches and deterioration in colour), seals are in good condition, knocks to the lowers etc. Put the break on and wobble front to back but also turn the wheel 90 degrees and do the same. Listen/feel for any knocks or any visual play. Check compression/rebound knobs do their thing. Lastly take it for a spin and do the car park bounce, try and get as much travel as you can but try and get the forks to top out on the way back. They wont top out but its more about trying to get the forks to return to the top (pull up like a little wheelie back into the sag portion of travel) without making any noise. Whilst doing this hit the brakes hard at speed (careful if you are not used to it) to make sure they don't knock under braking.

Hope it goes well for you.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I really do like that! With it being a MTB don't be surprised of the wheels have a little wobble on the rims.

As for the forks. Ask him when they were last serviced, by who and if there is any evidence. Its an easy enough job to do at home so don't be too alarmed as long as he has used good quality or genuine fluid. Check stanchion wear (scratches and deterioration in colour), seals are in good condition, knocks to the lowers etc. Put the break on and wobble front to back but also turn the wheel 90 degrees and do the same. Listen/feel for any knocks or any visual play. Check compression/rebound knobs do their thing. Lastly take it for a spin and do the car park bounce, try and get as much travel as you can but try and get the forks to top out on the way back. They wont top out but its more about trying to get the forks to return to the top (pull up like a little wheelie back into the sag portion of travel) without making any noise. Whilst doing this hit the brakes hard at speed (careful if you are not used to it) to make sure they don't knock under braking.

Hope it goes well for you.

She's a bit of a looker isn't she! In a wonderfully dirty way.

That seems like good and logical advice. I really appreciate your help and I'll report back - hopefully with good news!

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Got it!

Went over yesterday to see a the fella selling it. Lovely chap in fact. Only issue seemed to be that the brakes seemed to be, well, interesting. Almost no movement at the levers, they worked, but really needed a good bleed. So I got a little money off and went and bought a bleed kit - not as difficult as some make out!

Went up to Clayton Vale this afternoon with a guy who knows his stuff and it really is a whole different, and terrifying ball game to road riding isn't it...

I was a bit too excited and nervous to pay too much attention to what was actually going on, but the fork seems great, lockout is rock solid, and the rebound etc all seems very responsive. I think I set it a bit too slow for the very rocky little trails around clayton but my lack of ability was certainly the limiting factor. Bars are fashionably wide, not sure how I feel about them but we'll see.

14590360_10157728304085650_878934859155403783_n.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
Nice! Bet you'll have a lot of fun times on that one :smile:

Thanks! Made the error of trying to use those semi-spd pedals with flats as I didn't know how comfortable I'd be. Error. Slipping all over the place. Back to the clips I know and love next time.
I ride flats but it varies amongst mtn bikers. Grippy flats and normally grippy outdoor boots are good enough for me. I've even ridden in my 4 season mountaineering boots. The trick to my feet not coming off is I don't spend all that much time on the saddle over the rough stuff. You might find your preferences change as you do more.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Wellgo v8 copies are so cheap (and good!) they're worth a go to see how you get on with them. I use a pair with walking boots or trainer type shoes and they're extremely grippy. They do hurt like a bastard if/when you slip off them though (learning to bunny hop was fun)!

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I've done some research about the clips/flats convo and it's a topic I almost don't want to bring up :laugh:

I've ridden exclusively in clips on the road for the last 3 years and although a pair of skate trainers and those pedals pictured above probably aren't the best indication I really did feel well off balance. I think I'm going to see how I feel with the clips next time and work from there. I did have one moment where I missed the line on a bern today and got a foot out just in time - I'd have been arse over in clips!

As my friend was shouting at the time - "LEAN AND LOW LAD!"

Jody

Stubborn git
First of all well done for upping your budget and getting something that will be a joy to learn on. Looks like a cracking bike for the money. Looked after it will fetch nearly as much as it cost in the event you don't like MTBing. I think you hit the sweet spot without going overboard on your first foray into off roading.

So I got a little money off and went and bought a bleed kit - not as difficult as some make out!

Depends what make and model. Some can be interesting to get right.

Went up to Clayton Vale this afternoon with a guy who knows his stuff and it really is a whole different, and terrifying ball game to road riding isn't it...

Not sure about terrifying but I know where you are coming from. Iv'e never really done any road riding other than when I stick the slick wheels on my FS. For me road riding is OK for fiteness and keeping your legs spinning in winter but it bores the sh*t out of me

I was a bit too excited and nervous to pay too much attention to what was actually going on, but the fork seems great, lockout is rock solid, and the rebound etc all seems very responsive. I think I set it a bit too slow for the very rocky little trails around clayton but my lack of ability was certainly the limiting factor. Bars are fashionably wide, not sure how I feel about them but we'll see.]

Ask your friend if he can help you set the forks up or check some online guides to fine tune them. It will pay dividends for your confidence when they are doing their job well.

What width are the bars? Are they stupid wide or just wider than you are used to on the road.

I've done some research about the clips/flats convo and it's a topic I almost don't want to bring up :laugh:

Its horses for courses but I would suggest doing a few rides on flats just to get your technique right and then switch back to SPD's

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Thanks @Jody I'm glad I went this route as well. I'm a big believer that having a bike you actually want to ride is important! Even if it does mean I'm on the baked bean diet for the foreseeable :laugh:

The brakes are Avid Elixir 5. The rear is screaming like a banshee at the moment but both are comfortably operated with one finger, which youtube tells me is important.

I've just googled, and the bars are these - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBELGUANB/el-guapo-ancho-b-handlebar - which I think fall into the "stupid wide" catagory. I'll see how I get on, but my elbow and shoulders are a little sore today and I'm not sure if that's exasperated by the width.

The trails where slimy muddy rocks, and I'm so used to aiming for flat ground on the roadie I found myself aiming for the edge of the trail, when the going got rough. Didn't take too long to realise that was a stupid idea and the bike was more than capable, and actually had far more grip, on the lumpy bits in the middle!

Top Bottom