Dipping a toe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just googled, and the bars are these - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBELGUANB/el-guapo-ancho-b-handlebar - which I think fall into the "stupid wide" catagory. I'll see how I get on, but my elbow and shoulders are a little sore today and I'm not sure if that's exasperated by the width.
I think mine are 720. Superstar can be a source of good and cheap mtn bike components. I went through two stems and two different bars before I settled on the current combo.

Jody

Stubborn git
The brakes are Avid Elixir 5. The rear is screaming like a banshee at the moment but both are comfortably operated with one finger, which youtube tells me is important.

I've just googled, and the bars are these - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBELGUANB/el-guapo-ancho-b-handlebar - which I think fall into the "stupid wide" catagory. I'll see how I get on, but my elbow and shoulders are a little sore today and I'm not sure if that's exasperated by the width.

The trails where slimy muddy rocks, and I'm so used to aiming for flat ground on the roadie I found myself aiming for the edge of the trail, when the going got rough. Didn't take too long to realise that was a stupid idea and the bike was more than capable, and actually had far more grip, on the lumpy bits in the middle!

Elixir 5’s are OK but you may want to change them in time if/when you start suffering any problems. Me and two mates had bikes with them and they all got binned off for Shimano. The difference between them both is night and day. Noise from them is fairly common and difficult to remove, known as the Avid “Turkey Gobble”. On a plus I have some unused Kevlar pads, plus some lightly used sintered and Kevlar if you want some FOC?

760’s are a fairly common size at the moment and not too extreme (800+). They may take some time to get used to but will give you a good amount of control. You could always experiment by moving the grips in and seeing what feels natural for you before cutting them down.

You will soon get used to picking a line.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Elixir 5’s are OK but you may want to change them in time if/when you start suffering any problems. Me and two mates had bikes with them and they all got binned off for Shimano. The difference between them both is night and day. Noise from them is fairly common and difficult to remove, known as the Avid “Turkey Gobble”. On a plus I have some unused Kevlar pads, plus some lightly used sintered and Kevlar if you want some FOC?

760’s are a fairly common size at the moment and not too extreme (800+). They may take some time to get used to but will give you a good amount of control. You could always experiment by moving the grips in and seeing what feels natural for you before cutting them down.

You will soon get used to picking a line.

I'd love to take you up on the pads, where are you based? I've replaced the front with SRAM sintered and they are silent. The rear ones seemed to have some life left so I've left them in, but they do sound like a freighter horn!

Can we talk tyres? It currently has Tubeless tyres on but they dont look particularly mud friendly to me. Is there a universally accepted "alright" winter tyre that won't cost the earth? These have plenty of life left so I'll keep them for summer riding. I'm not particularly fussed on Tubeless, especially for seasonal wheels.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm in Sheffield but postage is only a quid and I have no use for them any more.

Edit: What tyres are you using?

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I think mine are 720. Superstar can be a source of good and cheap mtn bike components. I went through two stems and two different bars before I settled on the current combo.

I'm looking forward to starting to fettle. I have decided that this evening will be dedicated to learning how to wheelie/manual. Even if it does feel like im riding a harley with bars that wide :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm looking forward to starting to fettle. I have decided that ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶ the next few years will be dedicated to learning how to wheelie/manual. Even if it does feel like im riding a harley with bars that wide :laugh:

FTFY and word of warning, buy some flats if you are learning this. Trust me!

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
FTFY and word of warning, buy some flats if you are learning this. Trust me!

Oh for sure! The pedals that are on there at the moment I can ride in skate shoes as long as its dry, they're supposed to be spd and flat compatible but with all the mud and slime last night I'm aware I was asking lots.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm not very good with tyres but would pick something as an alrounder and run them tubeless. Mud tyres have a lot of drag. The ones you have on seem quite close in tread pattern so might start to squirm around when it gets muddy.

I'm looking forward to starting to fettle. I have decided that this evening will be dedicated to learning how to wheelie/manual. Even if it does feel like im riding a harley with bars that wide :laugh:
If you get that done in an evening you can teach me!

I can get the front end up long enough to clear something. I can wheelie briefly before I, fall off the back, fall out the side, dump the front. I'm sure I could wheelie a chopper all the way down the road once. As Jody says, you don't want to be clipped in for that.

Tyres, I use Nobby Nics. I don't find them too draggy on the road, certainly not in comparison to earlier tyres like my old WTB Velociraptors. WTB Vigilante's seem to be good tyres too. They both come in tubeless if you want to stay that way, which you might once you've got several thorn punctures at once.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
If you get that done in an evening you can teach me!

I can get the front end up long enough to clear something. I can wheelie briefly before I, fall off the back, fall out the side, dump the front. I'm sure I could wheelie a chopper all the way down the road once. As Jody says, you don't want to be clipped in for that.

Tyres, I use Nobby Nics. I don't find them too draggy on the road, certainly not in comparison to earlier tyres like my old WTB Velociraptors. WTB Vigilante's seem to be good tyres too. They both come in tubeless if you want to stay that way, which you might once you've got several thorn punctures at once.

I've ordered some wellgo V8s. £12 posted I cant complain. I've always wanted to be able to bunny hop so I figured now is the time! I'd hate to be the guy with a nice new MTB beind accused of "spud hopping" in my clips! I'll keep the SPDs for XC if and when I decide to go down that route...

Is there much good riding around the wirral @Crackle ? I'm on the lookout for good spots now.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Isn't there some kind of trail centre in Manchester? Clayton Vale possibly @fossyant might be able to advise.

PS nothing wrong with spud hopping as long as you clear the obstacle.

That's where I went yesterday :smile: - It'll be the place I get the basics down, but I dont want to get complacent as I'm sure you could "learn" the routes there in an afternoon.

Top Bottom