Dirty water in central heating system.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A reputable local family-owned plumbing firm would be cheaper.

newts

Veteran
I have been in touch with British Gas and they are coming next Thursday to give me a quote. Better use a reputable firm I suppose, far too many charlatans out there.
British Gas are the biggest rogues in the central heating industry! Over inflated charges & poor workmanship.
Power Flushing is a BG cash cow & they rarely do it properly. Beware of their hard sell tactics on new (very overpriced boilers) & boiler care.
Do a postcode search on the Gas Safe website & ask around for recomendations on those local to you.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
British Gas are the biggest rogues in the central heating industry! Over inflated charges & poor workmanship.
Power Flushing is a BG cash cow & they rarely do it properly. Beware of their hard sell tactics on new (very overpriced boilers) & boiler care.
Do a postcode search on the Gas Safe website & ask around for recomendations on those local to you.
I am also contacting a local firm for a quote.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Funnily enough last year we got a quote from BG for a new unvented heating system, they were the cheapest by far out of all the quotes I got. This actually scared me a bit, so i went elsewhere and negotiated a price with a local firm. I went on recommendations in the area.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I get my system cleaned annually (coming up in October) when I have the boiler serviced. Some years ago, I had one of those magnetic traps fitted which collects the magnetic metal gunk from inside the radiators. The plumber just disconnects it, empties it, puts it back on. Annual service/clean costs me about £100-ish including putting that special cleaning fluid inside the system. This powerflush seems a bit of a rip-off to me..
View attachment 543859
We had one of those fitted last year when the new heating system went in, can you add inhibitor into that ?

newts

Veteran
A competent person doing a boiler service should be checking that there's adequate inhibitor within the heating system as part of the service, especially if they've not installed or maintained that system before.

newts

Veteran
We had one of those fitted last year when the new heating system went in, can you add inhibitor into that ?
They should have put inhibitor in when thay installed the system, it's part of the boiler install spec. Inhibitor should last for years & not require changing annually. It can be added via the filter depending on type, you'd need to top up the pressure in the heating loop on a sealed system after.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They should have put inhibitor in when thay installed the system, it's part of the boiler install spec. Inhibitor should last for years & not require changing annually. It can be added via the filter depending on type, you'd need to top up the pressure in the heating loop on a sealed system after.
They did ! all flushed etc ! just im currently getting bathrooms ripped out and new radiators fitted and moved so it’s all gone down the drain ! Might just ask for it to be done again when I get the boiler serviced .

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can add inhibitor into the heating header tank. It's only soap, it makes the water alkaline. It might contain a tiny amount of biocide as well, I don't know.

Top Bottom