Dirty water in central heating system.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Removing black sludge from the system is an excellent idea. Handing over five hundred notes, less so. You can easily do it yourself with sixteen quids worth of Sentinel X400 and a hose pipe.
and flooding the whole house? I believe some jobs are better left to professionals.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It helps if, the last time you drained the system, you added a drain cock and waste pipe to carry the water outdoors.

Smug? Moi?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It helps if, the last time you drained the system, you added a drain cock and waste pipe to carry the water outdoors.

Smug? Moi?
Yes indeed. That's what I did, as well as adding a temporary loop in the loft so I could poke mains pressure water directly into the CH system. To flush out the gunge, just direct the water into a given radiator by turning the radiator valves off and on.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have been in touch with British Gas and they are coming next Thursday to give me a quote. Better use a reputable firm I suppose, far too many charlatans out there.

Hang on - British Gas and "reputable firm" in the same sentence? Shome mishtake shurley

I'm being serious by the way

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Removing black sludge from the system is an excellent idea. Handing over five hundred notes, less so. You can easily do it yourself with sixteen quids worth of Sentinel X400 and a hose pipe.

Done that myself. Usually when a rad needs to come off. Drain and refill the system, add inhibitors and anti kettle solutions.

Main rad in lounge was blocked, so that was taken outside next to grid and rinsed through with a hose.

bruce1530

Guru
Hang on - British Gas and "reputable firm" in the same sentence? Shome mishtake shurley

I'm being serious by the way
I needed a boiler replacement a couple of years ago. My pal said “we used British Gas. Cost £3500. Did a great job, fitter was a lovely guy called Clive(*), would recommend."

Wife’s pal also said "we used British Gas. Cost £3500. Did a great job, fitter was a lovely guy called Clive(*), would recommend."

British Gas came out to survey. Guess what - they quoted £3500.

I thought it was a touch pricey - was then chatting to a neighbour and asked if he knew any good gas fitters. “Have you tried Clive?"
“Is that the Clive that works for British Gas? Does he do homers?"
“It’s the same guy, but he doesn’t work for British Gas - he’s a self-employed subcontractor.” .

So Clive came out, surveyed. Asked “Have British Gas given you a quote? Was it £3500? I’ll do it for £1900, thats the cost of the boiler and what they’d pay me for my labour”.

(*) Clive isn’t his name - if anyone in west of scotland wants a recommendation, drop me a line.

(**) the first pal, who paid BG says he actually got good value for money, cos when Clive came to do the job, he discovered that the gas pipe under the floor of the house was not up to spec, and they had to dig a trench from the front of his house round to the back for a new pipe, then relay his mono block afterwards. The BG price was fixed price, so covered all of that.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The gas man just been to give a quote. The job will take all day including installing a magnetic filter. It will be done by BG and not by contractors and the cost is....................

£940 :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am waiting for an email now to confirm all this, including payment terms . :angry:
The chap said it will never need doing again provided I clean the filter every year.

Now the ball is on my court and a decision will have to be made.
Does anyone know the lottery numbers for next Saturday ? :whistle::whistle:

@Drago , the ebike is not on the shopping list for the foreseeable , I thought you would like to know. ;)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The gas man just been to give a quote. The job will take all day including installing a magnetic filter. It will be done by BG and not by contractors and the cost is....................

£940 :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am waiting for an email now to confirm all this, including payment terms . :angry:
The chap said it will never need doing again provided I clean the filter every year.

Now the ball is on my court and a decision will have to be made.
Does anyone know the lottery numbers for next Saturday ? :whistle::whistle:

@Drago , the ebike is not on the shopping list for the foreseeable , I thought you would like to know. ;)
Why are you surprised? Pretty much the whole thread warned you.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Know any local installers ? Could be cheaper? Always think boiler installs etc should be done in the warmer months ! Demand is high going into autumn/winter

Top Bottom