Disadvantages of a racing bike for commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dele

thank you all for the food for thought, very helpful to have different eyes on the matter. I'll ruminate and update with what i decided in the end. Thanks again! :highfive:

DrLex

merely the moocher
[...]The real answer is to N+1, and get yourself BOTH a nice racer AND a commuter ^_^[...]

That was my plan, but with the further addition of an ice bike* for the rare sub-zero commute. I bought a Roubaix primarily for enjoyable fair weather commuting, and then a 2nd hand Pompetamine (Alfine 11, dynamo hub, rack & 'guards) as a winter/wet weather commuter.

(fancy term for pub bike with Marathon Winters)

daSmirnov

I use my £1000 road bike for commuting.

It's obviously kitted out with 20kgs of lights and mudguards though.:thumbsup: I've got somewhere secure to leave it though.

sabian92

Über Member
I have a "racing bike" to commute on. Nothing really disadvantageous about it apart from if you have panniers and are a big fella like me you can buckle standard wheels.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worth getting two bikes if you can.

My commuter is a road bike, but its fixed gear with rack and panniers. It is just as quick as my two road bikes, uses same rims, lower spec tyres, but essentially is the same.

The only issue is you will get hissed off with a wet ass if you can't fit guards, much as I hate them they are essential for commuting every day.

I commuted on something similar, but that was years ago, but was able to put guards on it in winter. You will eat components commuting.

Commuters generally get knocked about a bit more, even OCD folk like me. I'd get a Ribble winter bike for commuting and another for weekend. You could still get an Ultegra equipped best bike and a Ribble for that money

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm not sure of this "eating components". The 105 stuff on my commuter lasts roughly the same number of miles as the stuff on Lelly.

VamP

Banned
There are no disadvantages. Go for it if you have a safe place to keep it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No disadvantage BUT you lose many of the advantages when you convert a road bike into a commuter. Add mudguards, lights, rack, panniers and tougher tyres and your light and nimble bike is not so anymore.

It really depends on how you intend to commute.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just ride the thing - no issues with tyres too narrow, forks too narrow or any of that old gubbins. Only problem, as mentioned up-thread is potential for arriving at work sooner!

400bhp

Guru
Hmmm.

I commute in sunny weather all year round and have no theft risk. I suggest you pass that bike to me and I will hand over my Carrera Subway which is more suitable for you to commute on.

Nice bike.:thumbsup:

I commute on a cheap dropped bar bike, a Viking Road FX single speed. I like having the nimbleness of a road bike which has helped me a scrape or two and its generally more fun IMO. I'm paranoid about theft however, and like that it a low value bike. I also wouldn't be happy with wear and tear on a better bike. My commute is short and flat though if it changed, I'd probably look at a geared road bike; it would probably be more expensive but it wouldn't be that dear.

Top Bottom