Disadvantages of a racing bike for commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
No disadvantage BUT you lose many of the advantages when you convert a road bike into a commuter. Add mudguards, lights, rack, panniers and tougher tyres and your light and nimble bike is not so anymore.

It really depends on how you intend to commute.
+1

It would break my heart putting a beautiful bike like that through a winter commute - and it would be a lot less comfortable than decently 'winterised' bike.

OP
OP
D

dele

Haha, arriving at work sooner eh.. I think I'd sort that out by having a few more minutes in bed and leaving later ;)

Thanks again for all the helpful replies, in answer to some of your Q's, I would not be putting any mudguards, panniers on as I carry only a few items on my back (phones, wallet, keys), and I'd have a waterproof jacket so I don't mind a wet (or should I say dry) back..

In terms of my riding style, I'm not sure how to describe it other than I like to go as fast as possible all the time. So when I say commute, I mean in it in the purist sense of getting to and from work, but I'm a fan of doing it in shortest time possible rather than taking it easy.

I don't ride at lunchtime either and I have a change of clothes at work so I'll aways be in my cycling gear.

When I've timed my ride to work on my single speed Langster, I usually cover the 7 miles in about 22-24 minutes. I sometimes am frustrated at pedalling making virtually no difference at certain speeds, so hopefully a good geared bike will help improve my time.

I also have to make it up a steep hill which I think gears could make a little easier (therfore quicker).

8214040659_3c9721bb8e_b.jpg
Screen shot 2012-11-24 at 20.38.28 by _dele, on Flickr

Anyone know how to work out the gradient of something like that? would just like to know out of interest :laugh:

As for getting two bikes I would imagine some kind of compromise would have to be involved and I'd rather one excellent bike rather than two good ones. Plus space is a bit of an issue :blush:

An interesting point that you guys mentioned about component wear - does anyone know (roughly of course) how much life a 3/4 day commute would take off the components? As this expense could be an issue depending on how often I might need to be doing it..

Thanks in advance!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Spa Hill
Thornton Heath, Greater London, United Kingdom
  • 0.8mi
    Distance
  • 4.0%
    Avg Grade
  • 152ft
    Lowest Elev
  • 313ft
    Highest Elev
  • 162ft
    Elev Difference
so75tc.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a Specialized Secteur drop bar bike (hardly a race bike, but it cost £700, so it was valuable to me) in February 2011 after commuting on a hybrid Dawes for a couple of years. I have never been on the other bike since then. Yes, commuting and winter takes a modest toll on the mechanisms, but nothing too terrible if you take on routine maintaintance. Personally, I like the nimbleness of a road bike in traffic. It's fun and if the bike gets a bit of wear and tear, it's worth the expense. After all, what's the point of owning a bike that sits around doing nothing, just being "cherished"?

eml1909

I absolutely LOVE my Condor Gran Fondo - a perfect (but expensive) compromise for daily commuting - light and speedy (compared to hybrids and MTBs), but strong enough for panniers and mudguards.

Nebulous

Guru
Nice bike - would do the job. Think about it in terms of cars. People commute in anything from little sportscars to motorhomes. Each brings its own issues or compromises. Bikes are the same.

I bought a touring bike with mudguards, pannier rack and flat pedals to commmute on because I have stuff to carry, including a laptop and work papers, and I have a very short commute so don't want to get lycra'd up and have to change.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would like to know if there are specifically any disadvantages, or practical reasons NOT to be riding a race bike for commutes and the weekend blast.

For example, I know that the bike I'm looking at http://www.cube.eu/en/road/road-race/litening-super-hpc-pro/ is completely unnecessary/over-specced/overkill/ridiculous for what I want it for which is to commute to work 3/4 times a week 8 miles each way.

However, the question I'm asking is, despite already knowing it's not being used as intended, if I like everything about the bike and I simply 'want' it, are there any practical reasons that this would be a bad decision?

It's generally not an issue, I've commuted regularly on a Dogma in the past which included trips down canal towpaths. This bike was a higher spec than what you propose and I never had any issue you could not get on any bike. After the dogma I commuted on a tarmac, and a look 695 all these bikes ran carbon clinchers as well...... These bikes however have all been dedicated commuters, the only reason I have against commuting on your weekend bike is that your commuter really lives a tougher life, after a long stressful day at work and cycling home in the rain, the last thing you want to do is strip and clean a bike and chain, so on occasion you simply do not.
My weekend bikes get stripped, cleaned and oiled after every ride

Top Bottom