Disadvantages of a racing bike for commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dele

Hey guys, posting here and in the racing section (if that's allowed) to get both sides of the story.

I would like to know if there are specifically any disadvantages, or practical reasons NOT to be riding a race bike for commutes and the weekend blast.

For example, I know that the bike I'm looking at http://www.cube.eu/en/road/road-race/litening-super-hpc-pro/ is completely unnecessary/over-specced/overkill/ridiculous for what I want it for which is to commute to work 3/4 times a week 8 miles each way.

However, the question I'm asking is, despite already knowing it's not being used as intended, if I like everything about the bike and I simply 'want' it, are there any practical reasons that this would be a bad decision?

Take the cost out of the equation for the time being please, and risk of theft is low as it's only being stored securely at work and then at home.

Much appreciate any feedback :smile:

D

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Well it would be faster than my fixie so you can scalp plebs like me and feel good about yourself.;)

Do you commute all year round? If so, the first practical reason would be the damage salt and sub-zero temps do to gears: I did over £600 damage to mine over the two bad winters a couple of years ago. Number two, wider, less-inflatable tyres (better for snow and ice) won't fit. Three, the narrow forks might get damaged by crud picked up off the roads given the tight clearance on road bikes. Four, and possibly most important, Miguel In De Rain aNd his mates might rise up against such luxury and wreak terrible revenge.

(all that can of course be interpreted as 'blah, blah, blah, blah' if the urge is strong :smile: )

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Also unless you have somewhere very secure to store it during work, you are constantly going to be paranoid about it getting stolen. This would be the main reason NOT to use my sunday best bike for the commute.

The real answer is to N+1, and get yourself BOTH a nice racer AND a commuter ^_^. Personally I love my CAADX cross bike for commuting, and it's not so expensive I have to be overly concerned about it (even though my work has a secured underground parking with bike racks).

GrasB

Veteran
You become a huge SCR target & have to go 110% every day to save face?

Seriously, my only real concern with a £2400 bike is securing it properly. I get around this by keeping my bike in my office.

defy-one

other cyclist will think your daft for using such an exotic machine on the daily commute. your scalps will mean nothing as every scalpee will say "he only took me cos I'm on my commuter bike"

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I commute on my MTB simply because I don't have secure storage when I get to my customer's house. A couple of them are fine with me popping the bike into the hallway. Others are not happy about having a bike there at all (Don't blame them really).

It is a very sexy bike though. I would have it in a heartbeat if I had the money. Not sure about commuting on it for the reasons stated above but if your storage is as secure as you say, then I would say just go for it.

Top Bottom