Disappointed by another cyclist during my ride yesterday morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Whilst riding to meet up with a buddy I passed another cyclist and as I did I said "good morning" only to have have my friendly gesture returned with a verbal expletive, simply because I went passed him as we were going up a hill.

Now I am not the quickest or fittest cyclist and regularly get passed by others; furthermore it is bad enough that we have to put up with other road users not giving cyclists enough respect but that another cyclist feels that they have to behave in this way is a great shame.

nappadang

Über Member
Wow, if I abused everyone who overtook me I'd never get moving.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Whilst riding to meet up with a buddy I passed another cyclist and as I did I said "good morning" only to have have my friendly gesture returned with a verbal expletive, simply because I went passed him as we were going up a hill..
Good for you, Sir! I like the cut of your jib. I believe you should always say hello, or at least acknowledge another cyclist's existence, but it's amazing how many times you get completely blanked in return. I find the members of one of my local cycling clubs to be the most up themselves.(Never been abused for greeting anyone though).

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
@ Beano 2, Tw**t
@ Donger, I will always say hello, good morning, afternoon, nod my head etc. and in general I get the same in return. In fact in the three years I have been cycling I have found most other cyclists to be a really friendly bunch of people,; far more so in fact than when I use to ride motorbikes and jog.
@ screenman, you may be right however, I am more inclined to think that he was simply not happy to be passed as he was finding it a little difficult to get up the hill.
@ numbnuts, you know what they say be careful how you treat others on the way up, because you will meet them again on the way down; or in your case further along the road!!

Cameronmu917772

I took a mate out today and was talking of almost the same thing. Every one we passed (those walking ones) smiled said hello even egged us on. I didn't see any other roadies today but all of the people that I did and as I was I gave a cheery hello. It was returned with dirty looks :s I'm putting down to jelousy :tongue:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I can see why you were upset and I expect i would be too, but disappointed? There are idiots in all sports and on alk kinds of vehicle - just because someone's on a bike doesn't automatically make them a better person

pawl

Legendary Member
Whilst riding to meet up with a buddy I passed another cyclist and as I did I said "good morning" only to have have my friendly gesture returned with a verbal expletive, simply because I went passed him as we were going up a hill.

Now I am not the quickest or fittest cyclist and regularly get passed by others; furthermore it is bad enough that we have to put up with other road users not giving cyclists enough respect but that another cyclist feels that they have to behave in this way is a great shame.
Yes you do occasionally get an ignorant sod. I stopped to mend a puncture today.Two cyclists asked if they could help,there not all ignorant so and SOS.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Possibly the chap you overtook though you were being a bit sarky.... Who knows.

Top Bottom