Disappointed with Today's Effort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Tried my local 10 mile TT route today. New wheels, been doing 115% ftp interval sessions on turbo, roads super quite because of Coronavirus, thought a pb was nailed on. Imagine my delight when I rolled in 1:43 down on my previous best! Truth be told, I had very little power on the hills. Wondered if my rides this week have sapped my power? I normally will do only 3 or 4 turbo sessions a week - 40 mins each, plus some zone 2 stuff. This past few days however I did 40 min turbo session on Thursday (115% ftp), then 30 miles on Friday and yesterday, both featuring a 7 mile full gas mini tt stint. Is this likely to have led to a lack of power today ( Sunday) or have I just gone backwards?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Were you measuring the power or guessing it based on you not going as fast as you thought you would?

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
My power meter had a flat battery so was just using my knowledge of the course and current speed reading.

ColinJ

My power meter had a flat battery so was just using my knowledge of the course and current speed reading.
In that case, were you slowed down by the wind conditions?

I nipped out today and the forecast suggested that there wouldn't be much wind here but it felt quite hard work cycling in the valley towards Hebden Bridge and much easier coming back.

I reckon on a circular loop that headwinds AND crosswinds slow you down and only a decent tailwind speeds you up!

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
It's almost a complete circle, give half a mile or so. Not sure I can blame the wind, just crappy when it went uphill. Have included a picture of the summary, just to partially clarify. So, have I over done it in last few days? Should I have had a couple of days off?

CXRAndy

Guru
I would say that you didn't give enough time to recover from previous HIT sessions before going for a time. Weather can play a big part too. I know our local TT, times are heavily influenced by wind speed and direction

ColinJ

Your heart was beating faster but you were going slower so I would say that you were a bit tired (or maybe getting ill? :whistle:) and/or the wind conditions did slow you down a bit. It doesn't take much wind to make quite a big difference.

(That's assuming that you were in the same position on the same bike and wearing the same kit.)

Top Bottom