Disc brake calipers- standard fitting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
I am looking to replace my brake calipers on my Caadx. They are promax disc calipers (160/140). Having difficulty finding replacements but have seen several generic calipers. Is there a standard fit? My current brakes are 2 bolt, so would generic 2 bolt calipers fit?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As far as I am aware there are two types of disc caliper fixings, flat mount and post mount.
Sellers should state which they are.
You should be able to identity which yours are from these pics.

u17in.jpg
Post mount.

Shimano-BR-RS805-flat-mount-standard-brakes04.jpg
Flat mount.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Rear

Attachments

• 20190306_083004.jpg
    20190306_083004.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190306_083004.jpg
    20190306_083004.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 52

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's a flat mount caliper, the front will sit on an adapter plate to allow for different size rotors. I have flat mount Spyres on my latest bike and am happy with them. What is the reason for replacing the original units?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't actually see the mounts very well from your pics.

This was the subject of another almost identical question a year ago;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a...tential-mechanical-disc-brake-upgrade.231422/

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
If you're looking to replace your disc calipers, might I suggest the TRP Hy/Rds over the Spyres as your top choice - certainly for the front - the difference in price isn't huge, but they are worth the extra.

From what I understand, the Promax brakes are adequate, but not great. The Spyres/Hy/Rd are both excellent but the latter has the edge just because you never need to adjust the pads.

Top Bottom