Disc brake equipped roadie....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
So why only now are they starting to be fitted to road bikes? We seem to have been missing out :P
Lack of UCI approval. If it isn't legal to race, few companies are going to do the R&D to develop for a leisure market.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So why only now are they starting to be fitted to road bikes? We seem to have been missing out :P

As per T.M.H.N.E.T's reply above. And as I said previous I am seeing more and more bikes out and about with disc brakes. My current commuter is a Kona road bike with discs which I bought 2 years ago.

As with all new technology it does take a little time to trickle down to the norm and disc brakes will be the norm soon.

young Ed

Veteran
So why only now are they starting to be fitted to road bikes? We seem to have been missing out :tongue:
of course don't listen to me as i just talk a load of old nuts and bolts but could it be something to do with cost a engineering difficulties? they have had them on cars for quite a few years now but there they have more space and weight allowance
Cheers Ed

of course don't listen to me as i just talk a load of old nuts and bolts but could it be something to do with cost a engineering difficulties? they have had them on cars for quite a few years now but there they have more space and weight allowance
Cheers Ed

It's not an engineering issue and it's not a cost issue. Remember that thing you were told earlier - about not commenting?

young Ed

Veteran
It's not an engineering issue and it's not a cost issue. Remember that thing you were told earlier - about not commenting?
sorry [backs off into corner with very sorry puppy face] will leave now (with rim brakes due to being skint)
Cheers Ed

SteCenturion

I am your Father
sorry i will listen to you all dear lords of the cycling world. what shall i do for you today?
Cheers Ed
P.S sorry i am a true noob who doesn't even know his way round his own head tube or bb
but there is one thing that i am great at and that is admitting my faults and being honest! :tongue:
Young Ed.
You are entitled to have an opinion - everyone is - young or old alike & it would be a very boring world without differences in opinion too.
Just because you are a young lad now doesn't mean you always will be & todays (kids) as one member described you are tomorrows young adults & professionals with disposable income who might spend some of this on cycling etc.
Members here maybe should advise you as a relatively new cyclist & encourage you instead of making disparaging remarks.
As a new member myself & relatively inexperienced with new technologies in cycling - I wouldn't want to bring up a subject I am not an 'expert' in for fear of ridicule.
I am however in my 40's & well read/reasonably intelligent so lets see if I ever receive the same 'attitude' that you were subjected to.
Carry on having an opinion young un - it 'aint illegal & makes the world a much more interesting place to live.
:thumbsup:

young Ed

Veteran
Young Ed.
You are entitled to have an opinion - everyone is - young or old alike & it would be a very boring world without differences in opinion too.
Just because you are a young lad now doesn't mean you always will be & todays (kids) as one member described you are tomorrows young adults & professionals with disposable income who might spend some of this on cycling etc.
Members here maybe should advise you as a relatively new cyclist & encourage you instead of making disparaging remarks.
As a new member myself & relatively inexperienced with new technologies in cycling - I wouldn't want to bring up a subject I am not an 'expert' in for fear of ridicule.
I am however in my 40's & well read/reasonably intelligent so lets see if I ever receive the same 'attitude' that you were subjected to.
Carry on having an opinion young un - it 'aint illegal & makes the world a much more interesting place to live.
but i can have an opinion but can't change facts
and one fact is i'm just a plain nutter!
Cheers Ed

fabregas485

Lack of UCI approval. If it isn't legal to race, few companies are going to do the R&D to develop for a leisure market.

As per T.M.H.N.E.T's reply above. And as I said previous I am seeing more and more bikes out and about with disc brakes. My current commuter is a Kona road bike with discs which I bought 2 years ago.

As with all new technology it does take a little time to trickle down to the norm and disc brakes will be the norm soon.

That makes a lot of sense.

Young Ed.

Couldn't agree more, I personally think some comments have been border-line rude.

but i can have an opinion but can't change facts
and one fact is i'm just a plain nutter!
Cheers Ed
Your a Young Nutter cyclist. I am a 70(+) year old who has been cycling on and off since the mid 1950's, never serious but have done a few good tours, had a lot of frights, frightened a few motorists, had a lot of fun and one or two days I would sooner forget, still finding there is more to cycling than meets the eye, still asking the geek cyclists of any age questions and probably considered an old nutter cyclist by our neighbors, when they see me setting off on the bike when there are two cars on the drive and more so when I told one of our 40 year old neighbors that I had just rode over 70 miles to celebrate my 70th birthday (the look of horror on her face was worth the sore hintend) . Carry on lad and NEVER be worried about expressing an opinion provided that it is an honest one.

young Ed

Veteran
Couldn't agree more, I personally think some comments have been border-line rude.
Your a Young Nutter cyclist. I am a 70(+) year old who has been cycling on and off since the mid 1950's, never serious but have done a few good tours, had a lot of frights, frightened a few motorists, had a lot of fun and one or two days I would sooner forget, still finding there is more to cycling than meets the eye, still asking the geek cyclists of any age questions and probably considered an old nutter cyclist by our neighbors, when they see me setting off on the bike when there are two cars on the drive and more so when I told one of our 40 year old neighbors that I had just rode over 70 miles to celebrate my 70th birthday (the look of horror on her face was worth the sore hintend) . Carry on lad and NEVER be worried about expressing an opinion provided that it is an honest one.
cheers guys but really i have been a pain and should stick to somewhere my own depth
and as to 'rude' i wouldn't really agree but then again i am used to such comments weather by people i know or random people on the internet and i just don't listen to any that aren't giving me good advice! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Front is easy you just buy some disc forks, then a disc wheel, caliper, etc, etc. That's not cheap but he rear would be properly expensive assuming a steelframe,the addition of disc tab, a strengthening brace and a respray. It would probably be cheaper to buy a complete bike.

Having now experienced the delight of disc brakes on my commuter bike, at some point in the next year I'll be looking to upgrade the Planet X at the front by getting a disc specific fork.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Having now experienced the delight of disc brakes on my commuter bike, at some point in the next year I'll be looking to upgrade the Planet X at the front by getting a disc specific fork.

The Lynksy fork like the one on your dearest other half 's bike would fit quite nicely :thumbsup:
I have the same fork on my commuter.

Top Bottom