Disc brake equipped roadie....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Discs inevitably stress the spokes so any conversion needs to be properly engineered.

The technology is relatively mature on mountain and hybrid bikes, but still new on roadies.

I wonder if/when we will hear of spokes breaking on disc-equipped road bikes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Discs inevitably stress the spokes so any conversion needs to be properly engineered.

The technology is relatively mature on mountain and hybrid bikes, but still new on roadies.

Nearly 14000 miles of disc brake road bike commuting in all weathers in nearly 2 years whithout so much as a spoke out of true tells me that all is good.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Yeah. Millions of mtb-ers lie aware every night fretting about their stressed spokes.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Nearly 14000 miles of disc brake road bike commuting in all weathers in nearly 2 years whithout so much as a spoke out of true tells me that all is good.
Not a big fan of discs on roadies yet but then haven't tried them.
Purely from an aesthetics point of view.
Out of interest - what roughly is the wait penalty ??
I can see the benefit for descending but is this negated on climbs by the extra weight ??
Interested to get opinions either way :scratch:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can see the benefit for descending but is this negated on climbs by the extra weight ??

The brakes and the rotors probably add a kilo at the most.

Rouge79

It's not even a few KG's.
Disc brakes are surprisingly light.

Just a PITA in cross winds :eek:

I have discs on the hybrid and rim brakes on the roadie and TBH can't decide if id like discs on the roadie or not. On the hybrid they are good and much more confident in breaking and zipping in and out of traffic but when the wind catches the front disc!!!! Not sure i fancy that risk on a carbon roadie with my mass of 60kg:excl:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just a PITA in cross winds :eek:

I have discs on the hybrid and rim brakes on the roadie and TBH can't decide if id like discs on the roadie or not. On the hybrid they are good and much more confident in breaking and zipping in and out of traffic but when the wind catches the front disc!!!! Not sure i fancy that risk on a carbon roadie with my mass of 60kg:excl:

Never found it a problem myself. The rotors are far too small to catch any significant side winds, that and they are full of holes anyway. I am also running the disc's with 30mm depth rims.

tigger

Über Member
Never found it a problem myself. The rotors are far too small to catch any significant side winds, that and they are full of holes anyway. I am also running the disc's with 30mm depth rims.

+ the rotors are in the centre of the wheel, surface area at the rim is where it effects steering in crosswinds. I too have never noticed a problem with discs in crosswinds

tigger

Über Member

The weight penalty is less than you think as ian said, from a climbing point of view it has little bearing. The only rotational mass is the rotor. The calipers are on the frame/fork so make no difference. As the rotor is at the centre this has less effect than adding weight at the rim. AND because you don't need a braking surface on the rim, this means that rims can get lighter on discs wheels, so this may give gains for climbing!

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !

Out of interest - what roughly is the weight penalty ??

For weight penalty info, have a look at the BMC web-site:- http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bikes/road/
As far as I can tell for identical spec bikes except for frame and fork mods and the different brakes and wheels the weight difference is 260g between the Grandfondo GF01 and the GF01 disc.
It's 800g between the GF02 disc and the GF02.

I'm a fan-boy of disc-braked road bikes; all my fleet have them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom