disc brakes in cyclocross at last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
More a question than a statement, go gentle.

If they move over to disc's:

Wont the forks need to be stronger and thus likely end up heavier than present?
Wont the wheels now need more spokes to deal with the forces applied near the hub resulting in the avoidance of low spoke count radial laced wheels (weight will be increased here)?

Will the saving from the rim brake system actually offset these factors?

On another note: You can go over the handlebars or lock a wheel pretty easy on normal road brakes if you arent running absolute sh*te/cheese brakes! I know, I did it, the result, superman style impact with a car pulling into my path! So I dont see why people are too concerned with the stopping power of a disc brake, with (theoretically) well trained and skilled athletes at the controls, are brakes locking or increased braking power really something to be overly concerned with.

In your responses, please bear in mind I do not race bikes, have only riden in a pack once and know nothing about disc brakes!

oldroadman

Veteran
The danger is not so great in CX, where although p[eople will have a mixture of brakes - mostly rim based - they are often far enough apart to avoid problems and you can expect a few "offs" anyway.
The problem if they ever (please, not) get legal for road racing is the differences in power. There are enough new numpties in lower cat races who slam on for little reason, without them having overpowered braking capability to cause accidents!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
More a question than a statement, go gentle.

If they move over to disc's:

Wont the forks need to be stronger and thus likely end up heavier than present?
Wont the wheels now need more spokes to deal with the forces applied near the hub resulting in the avoidance of low spoke count radial laced wheels (weight will be increased here)?

Will the saving from the rim brake system actually offset these factors?

On another note: You can go over the handlebars or lock a wheel pretty easy on normal road brakes if you arent running absolute sh*te/cheese brakes! I know, I did it, the result, superman style impact with a car pulling into my path! So I dont see why people are too concerned with the stopping power of a disc brake, with (theoretically) well trained and skilled athletes at the controls, are brakes locking or increased braking power really something to be overly concerned with.

In your responses, please bear in mind I do not race bikes, have only riden in a pack once and know nothing about disc brakes!
Again the old myth that more power means it is more likely to lock the wheels.

The opposite is true, more power = better control because you can apply a more sensitive force to the lever. There were far more lock-ups when cars used drum brakes because you lost all senses of feel when your foot was jammed to the floor trying to generate enough stopping power. The same is true of bikes, using a couple of fingers on the lever leads to greater confidence and sensitivity than having to wrap your fist around it.

I've been waiting patiently for road bike discs for years. Bring 'em on I say. If designers simply made road bike disc brakes to be as powerful as existing brakes there would still be plenty of performance advantages. Imagine dinky little vented carbon or ceramic coated alloy discs. OMG.

A road bike disc-brake set-up - if engineered to provide the same braking power in the dry as today's rim actuating calipers - would be significantly lighter, more than compensating for any extra material required in the fork.

Excusing the rim from brake-track duties would allow it to be much lighter. Removing weight from the outside of the wheel is the holy grail of component designers and this weight saving will more than compensate for a return to crossed spokes over radial.

Wet condition braking - say no more.

'Cable' routing - you have to be very mindful of smooth cable runs and gentle curves when stringing a bike. Hydraulic hose can be plumbed with right angles - if required - with no discernible loss of efficiency. Discs could allow for internal routing all the way to the caliper. Clean, tidy and aero.

As for wheel swap compatability - it just won't be an issue. Shimano will dictate the standard and everyone else will have to fall in to line, as per yewge.

No, the biggest barrier to the widespread adoption of discs brakes on road bikes is the peleton themselves - who are often very suspicious of new technology. How long did it take Shaun Kelly to accept clip-in pedals? Years.

zigzag

Veteran
the more i know about bikes the more disappointed i am about the lack of progress. when i go to cycle show it's the same boring stuff year after year. bike friendly gps units are very welcome invention as well as cheap and powerful led lights. but what concerns the bikes/bike parts - there is nothing to be excited about. road disc brakes would be a huge leap forward, providing they are engineered properly. i'm sure it will happen, and i'd like it sooner rather than later.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
the more i know about bikes the more disappointed i am about the lack of progress. when i go to cycle show it's the same boring stuff year after year. bike friendly gps units are very welcome invention as well as cheap and powerful led lights. but what concerns the bikes/bike parts - there is nothing to be excited about. road disc brakes would be a huge leap forward, providing they are engineered properly. i'm sure it will happen, and i'd like it sooner rather than later.
Progress has been made illegal by the UCI Blazers.

Norm

So I dont see why people are too concerned with the stopping power of a disc brake, with (theoretically) well trained and skilled athletes at the controls, are brakes locking or increased braking power really something to be overly concerned with.
For me, (in addition to everything that Smokin' Joe says) the most important difference is kinda hidden away in the middle of mickle's reply.

Wet condition braking - say no more.

Top Bottom