Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"The UCI’s long-time ban on disc brakes in professional racing will be partially lifted in August and September of this year, when all professional teams will be allowed to test discs in two events of their choice.

Testing will continue through 2016, when teams will be allowed to test discs in all professional road events. If testing goes well, discs will be formally introduced to the pro peloton in 2017, with the goal of eventually bringing the technology to all levels of road racing."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015...i-to-lift-ban-on-disc-brakes-in-august_366590

UCI press release:
http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This is rather quick actually, if you consider how long it is taking them to get rid of the drug issue.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
......that's 2 years to introduce a reasonably well tired and tested technology. I'm struggling to see why this should take so long.

Velonews said:
...concerns over wheel changes, neutral support, crash safety, and overheating have led the UCI to exercise caution ... There are myriad technical concerns ... Axle standards have not yet been agreed upon, and the tight tolerances of a disc system mean that wheel swaps have a higher potential to result in rubbing or noisy brakes ... Safety concerns, particularly surrounding the effect of spinning, sharp rotors in large crashes, could still slow or halt the technology’s implementation ... Many have concerns over the sharp edges on disc rotors, which can easily slice skin when spinning. Others fear the potential for an increase in crashes due a dramatic difference in brake power between those with and without discs ... Some pros ... are worried if you add quicker-stopping disc brakes, it could provoke even more pileups in an ever more nervous peloton...

I was having a close look at the Mavic neutral service car before the start at Compeigne on Sunday. One thing that interested me - an surprised me too - was the fact that the spare yellow frames they carry are fitted with old fashioned rat-trap pedals with mountain-bike style nylon toe straps and clips. Since I noticed later that the Sky bikes use a mix of SL, Look and those round ones I don't know the name of (Wiggins that is), I guess they have to meet all eventualities.
The other issue is that Campagnolo do not make a disc system, and have no plans to do so as far as I know.
My point is that until there is a universal system which is standardised across all manufacturers and teams, there is going to be a host of difficulties. It is not quite as simple as adopting a new technology. I personally prefer to have an effective quick-release system, and suspect the race teams would prefer this too.

I was having a close look at the Mavic neutral service car before the start at Compeigne on Sunday. One thing that interested me - an surprised me too - was the fact that the spare yellow frames they carry are fitted with old fashioned rat-trap pedals with mountain-bike style nylon toe straps and clips. Since I noticed later that the Sky bikes use a mix of SL, Look and those round ones I don't know the name of (Wiggins that is), I guess they have to meet all eventualities.
The other issue is that Campagnolo do not make a disc system, and have no plans to do so as far as I know.
My point is that until there is a universal system which is standardised across all manufacturers and teams, there is going to be a host of difficulties. It is not quite as simple as adopting a new technology. I personally prefer to have an effective quick-release system, and suspect the race teams would prefer this too.

I think you and Prawn Boy make a good point. Standard is easier to do than to say. Will the discs be 160mm or 140mm? Will QR survive or will Through Axle (TA) take over. The weakest component on ProTour legal bikes we have today is the carbon clincher wheel. It really needs disc brakes to be effective and cheap enough to trickle down to Joe Average the consumer. The other issues with disc brakes such as strong fork blades and heat dissipation on small discs have already been solved by carbon fibre and Shimano's Freeza air-cooled discs/brake pads. I wonder if safety really is an issue? It is worth noting that the Shimano/Campag incompatibity of the 9-speed days was solved by 10-speed becoming universal and AFIK 11-speed Campag and Shimano are also compatible.

We have been future-proofing our bikes for 50 years now with "standard" seatpost sizes (26.4, 26.8, 27.2, 30.X mm) "standard" stem clamps (Italian/metric, 1" and modern 30.X sizes) "Standard" BB threads (Italian, French, Japanese, BSA, threadless, BB30, BB30 Pressfit.....) and still we seem no closer to a standard than when I started way back. I suppose I have to be grateful for standard pedal threads, only two standards for sprocket splines, standard cables, standard drop-out spacing and tyre sizes.

I'm spec'ing a new bike for myself right now and already I'm wondering if it should be Di2 or cable. Where will it end?

My cx bike has discs, on my last race I flatted on lap 1, a guy gave me a non disc Campag rear wheel which more or less meshed with my Shimano bits. Finished the race on front brake only. If I can manage then surely the pros can ha ha

The interesting thing will be to see how brakes affect speed... and the effect on the peloton

If (in theory) there is better braking then can those with disc brakes approach a feature faster, brake and power through where those without have to brake earlier and for a longer period have a disadvantage

Will there be collisions between the two ?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
The interesting thing will be to see how brakes affect speed... and the effect on the peloton

If (in theory) there is better braking then can those with disc brakes approach a feature faster, brake and power through where those without have to brake earlier and for a longer period have a disadvantage

Will there be collisions between the two ?

This is (sort of) the point some of the pros are worried about; if some have much more efficient brakes, someone in the peloton hitting the brakes to avoid a hazard or another rider is much more likely to cause a big crash due to the difference in braking ability between disc and non-disc equipped bikes.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
This is (sort of) the point some of the pros are worried about; if some have much more efficient brakes, someone in the peloton hitting the brakes to avoid a hazard or another rider is much more likely to cause a big crash due to the difference in braking ability between disc and non-disc equipped bikes.
Why are disc brakes more likely to cause crashes when there are already plenty with rim brakes?

Bit of a non argument that one, points to the act of braking being the cause, not differences between rim and disc.

Top Bottom