Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I don't know, and I'm making no comment personally either way; you'd have to ask the pros that said it - Velonews quotes Gilbert, Phinney and King, for example.

I think their point is that if discs are more effective than rim brakes, the guy with discs can stop quicker than the guy on rim brakes. That could mean a situation in a tight bunch where the guy on discs taps the brakes and inadvertently causes a collision because the guy behind on (less effective) rim brakes can't slow as fast or stop in time.

Citius

Interesting fact - brakes don't make bikes quicker. You only have to look at CX to see how much difference the use of discs has made to the racing (ie none).

just jim

Does that mean..whole new lines of disc-brake carbon road bikes...will become the next mamil must-have? Yes.

oldroadman

Veteran
It's been noted that the big issue is mixing two systems with different potential power. It HAS to be one or the other. Which means that it's not likely to filter down to the amateur levels for at least a further year. What is a worry when it does is the potential for locking up is higher with greater power, and some amateur racing is twitchy enough already! Then when a change comes (it will), how do you explain to all the riders with rim brake frames that they can't use the thing they spent £3,000 on, in competition any more? There's a lot of mileage in this yet.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I listen to the velocast and they're biggest concern is a crash on an alpine descent after lots of breaking.

Riders landing on a Red hot potentially sharpe edge cutting disc

jifdave

No mention of the big spinning things called wheels or chainrings then?
No surprisingly, bikes already have them....

jifdave

Yeah they do, also capable of doing damage though. Fixating on potentially warm brake discs :laugh:

The fact is they're already on the bike so can't really be removed. I'm not disputing that they can do damage but adding more potential to do damage? I've never once gone down hill and felt my calipers were failing me. So have no need for discs.

Your getting a little carried away with 'fixating' I was just adding to the debate.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The fact is they're already on the bike so can't really be removed. I'm not disputing that they can do damage but adding more potential to do damage? I've never once gone down hill and felt my calipers were failing me. So have no need for discs.

Your getting a little carried away with 'fixating' I was just adding to the debate.
Not really. Every time disc brakes are mentioned the same overdone arguments against them are regurgitated. I'm surprised nobody has tried the "too much force for the spokes" one again.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Not really. Every time disc brakes are mentioned the same overdone arguments against them are regurgitated. I'm surprised nobody has tried the "too much force for the spokes" one again.

It's the industry that is pushing for it, and if the pro teams like it it will become the normal just like most things in life. You can understand why the industry wants it as its profits led.
It would be interesting to fast forward 5 years and have a look at the scene then

Citius

HIstory is a pretty good predictor of the future. They changed the way MTBs look, and they improved braking in a discipline which relies a LOT more on braking than road cycling does (leaving aside the relatively small number of riders who ride alpine descents while braking heavily).

Top Bottom