Disc or no disc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Also, I'm tempted to say that jagwire stuff is shite, but that would probably result in a forum meltdown. So I'll just say it is no better than any other cable type, IMO. Only useful if you need cables in colours other than black or silver. Other than that, I would'nt choose it in preference to Shimano.
and you have a right to your opinion.....just don't have a meltdown if i don't agree with it

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
discs brakes are for mountain bikes and Hybrids, and TT bikes, in TT events, disc brakes on a bike that is expected to be ridden in typically relatively larger groups are a liability and an injury accident waiting to happen, for all sorts of reasons IMO. The disparity between the braking efficacy, of a mixed bunch of rim and disc braked bikes, for the start of a long list. They are also heavier, so why spend loads on a light bike, then bolt a dead horse to the front?

And breathe:smile:.
Nonsense chap

S-Express

and you have a right to your opinion.....just don't have a meltdown if i don't agree with it

Absolutely, we are all entitled to our own opinion. And there are many people expressing their own opinions on this thread. There aren't that many who are providing a considered technical explanation in support of their opinion though.

jowwy

Absolutely, we are all entitled to our own opinion. And there are many people expressing their own opinions on this thread. There aren't that many who are providing a considered technical explanation in support of their opinion though.
Although there are some providing a considered technical opinion which is full of holes and providing no actual technical data to back it up

davidphilips

Veteran
Back to question of what brakes for ops genesis equilibrium? For me it would be rim brakes £250 less plus as Yellow saddle said, Don't expect better stopping with (good) disc brakes than with good rim brakes.

Jody

Stubborn git
....................cable discs are no way inferior to hydraulic and i have not felt any increase in friction by running disc brakes. i have also never felt the need to pull harder on the levers due to a mechanical disadvantage. .

Cable discs don't have anywhere near the same feel or power of hydraulic. If they did you would see them on high end MTB's and race bikes. The forces generated by hydraulic is way in excess of cable actuated. You barely have to touch a good hydraulic brake with one finger and have the bike stand on its front wheel and thats with dual piston never mind 4 pots.

Cable discs don't have anywhere near the same feel or power of hydraulic. If they did you would see them on high end MTB's and race bikes. The forces generated by hydraulic is way in excess of cable actuated. You barely have to touch a good hydraulic brake with one finger and have the bike stand on its front wheel and thats with dual piston never mind 4 pots.

Well, you clearly have not yet tried Jagwire-powered aspires or spires or 'sprires...whatever.

jowwy

Well, you clearly have not yet tried Jagwire-powered aspires or spires or 'sprires...whatever.
You obviously havent either............like i said, do some research before making comment

By the way it's SPYRE.........

S-Express

jowwy

Apologies in advance for this....

Glad you mentioned that, because....

Rhetoric?

Onerous?

Presume?

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Apparently....
Ah you read all my posts.........well done you

Maybe you should check who spelt orinis like that before putting in your post with my name.....cause i spelt it onirus, yellow saddle spelt it ORINIS

Gold star on its way

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Oh.....no.......must......resist......... Balls, discs brakes are for mountain bikes and Hybrids, and TT bikes, in TT events, disc brakes on a bike that is expected to be ridden in typically relatively larger groups are a liability and an injury accident waiting to happen, for all sorts of reasons IMO. The disparity between the braking efficacy, of a mixed bunch of rim and disc braked bikes, for the start of a long list. They are also heavier, so why spend loads on a light bike, then bolt a dead horse to the front?

And breathe:smile:.
Errrrrrrrrrr TT bikes in TT events use this kind of disk wheel , it has nothing to do with brakes :huh:

30079198862_80b8bb3b22_b.jpg

S-Express

Ah you read all my posts.........well done you

Maybe you should check who spelt orinis like that before putting in your post with my name.....cause i spelt it onirus, yellow saddle spelt it ORINIS

Gold star on its way

I try to read all the posts in a thread I'm involved in contributing to. I'm not generally too concerned about someone's spelling, as long as they can make themselves understood. However, I would be getting my own house in order first, before attempting to correct others.

Top Bottom