Disc Road Bikes and Thru Axles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
All the foregoing still leaves you with the conundrum, what will you do @AlanW ?

Well....my head is saying return it and have a full refund.
But over the last couple of years I've driven MrsW to absolute despair, researching this, looking at that etc etc and I don't have a second option to fall back on either.
So although I don't necessarily have to start from scratch again, it would feel like it.
I've just emailed Kinesis about my disappointment and asked what the future plans are for adding a thru axle to the rear. Not that l would believe what they said anyway given my recent experience with them.
It also depends on what they are prepared to offer me in terms of compensation for the 2 x 130 mile trips l'm now faced with.

simon.r

Person
Not sure if this will help you decide or if it's just rubbing salt into your wounds, but here's a photo of my Kinesis GF (with QR's:rolleyes:) taken earlier today:

IMG_0653.JPG

There's no denying it's a lovely frame, but I do understand your dilemma.

Having had a similar experience with a titanium frame (not Kinesis), supplied with one big and various small defects, I returned it and insisted on a refund. All confidence in the brand had gone - if they could let a frame go out in such a condition, what else could be lurking and why should they have my business? I believe Kinesis frames are made abroad and I wonder who will be repairing the bottle boss - as far as I know there are only two or three Ti cycle welders in the UK and I can't see them bothering with this. At the very least I would expect a new frame, plus some recompense.

Having now bought a Mason with a front TA and rear QR, I can't see a problem with it - something new to get used to and then you forget about it. The lever on the TA can be set to close where you want it to. Mason Hunt wheels (and others) feature a range of hub inserts to suit QR and TA so they can be swopped out if required if moving between different bikes and specs.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Focus' RAT system is (allegedly) faster than QR.

In theory, but in my limited experience of using them, you spend ages trying to locate the tabs in the end slots... Maybe it's something that comes with practice.

Is that a feature on the TA itself ? If so, what make is it? Thanks.

Yes, it is - the 12mm TA is supplied by Mason as part of their framesets and is an integral part of their fork design - see www.masoncycles.cc.

Mason say "The axle is also a Mason product with unique 'F-Stop' system so that you can accurately adjust the QR lever exactly in your desired position. The 'F-Stop' system uses replaceable inserts that can be swapped out if the threads are stripped or worn."

Top Bottom