Disc Rotors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Back to sqeeling ! Been off the bike for a while Xmas,work,flu and back at it and dreaded noise is back.It has to be calipers i think a very slight weep.Anyway I'm going to change them...rule of elimination at least !
Roll on the summer and I can get my rim brake bike out of the loft 😍

Dadam

It's not much of a help to you I know, but my new bike (Orbea Gain) has Tiagra hydraulic disc brakes and they're fantastic. Quiet, smooth and stop really well. They're better than the Tektro hydraulic brakes on my Giant hybrid which squeak and rumble a bit and while they work well, they've never stopped quite as authoritatively as the Shimano ones seem to.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Back to sqeeling ! Been off the bike for a while Xmas,work,flu and back at it and dreaded noise is back.It has to be calipers i think a very slight weep.Anyway I'm going to change them...rule of elimination at least !
Roll on the summer and I can get my rim brake bike out of the loft 😍

Clean with isopropyl alcohol and roughen up pads and see how you go.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
It's not much of a help to you I know, but my new bike (Orbea Gain) has Tiagra hydraulic disc brakes and they're fantastic. Quiet, smooth and stop really well. They're better than the Tektro hydraulic brakes on my Giant hybrid which squeak and rumble a bit and while they work well, they've never stopped quite as authoritatively as the Shimano ones seem to.
There good when they work....when they don't I fecking hate them 😁
To be fair I've had my money's worth out of them.

bobzmyunkle

It has to be calipers i think a very slight weep.
I had a leaking caliper. When I looked carefully, I could see a very feint ring of oil on the back of the pad. Drove me bananas up to that point - clean them, bake the pads, new pads, etc. Worked for one ride, take it out next time and back to screeching. Makes it easier when coming up behind pedestrians.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I had a leaking caliper. When I looked carefully, I could see a very feint ring of oil on the back of the pad. Drove me bananas up to that point - clean them, bake the pads, new pads, etc. Worked for one ride, take it out next time and back to screeching. Makes it easier when coming up behind pedestrians.
Exactly this....cured it yesterday morning by going for a ride with my son's earphones in.Everythimg was going well until I arrived home and my partner says "will you oil that bike" !
Can't stand it any more has to be calipers.

Slick

Guru
New calipers fitted and pads on the front.Silence is golden 😁
Must of had a slight weep....me aswell.

Just make sure not even the tears of an angel or new born baby hit those lovely new rotors. :okay:

Top Bottom