Disc Rotors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Ok bike is driving me nuts ! Shimano Tiagra hydraulic disc brakes.Done everything bar changing rotors,yes cleaned them thougherly and changed pads,but still horribly noisy.So could it be rotors causing this ? What replacement recommendations does anyone have 160 centre lock type.
Thanks

Mike_P

Guru
Just had a problem of the new pads catching on my ebike. When refitting the security skewer the skewer snapped at the tightening into end; fortunately had a spare but as soon as that became fully tight the disc started rubbing on one of the pads. Wheel out a few times to push / check the plungers were right back so ended up somewhat puzzled. Resolved by fitting an axle washer on the disc end of the wheel and now nicely quite. Might not be your case but possibly worth trying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks Mike mine aren't skewers there a bolt through.Wheels spin fine with no rubbing or very little.Nothing noticable but once riding and pulling brakes yikes watch out ! No need for a bell 😁

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wet or dry ? Re-align the callipers - undo at frame mounts, pull brakes on, tighten. May be worth trying a different pad - I use Uber Race Matrix on my MTB and the only noise I get is if the discs are soaked wet, and I've not pulled the brakes in a while - but once the water is off they are fine.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Tried all ways Fossy,changed pads,re aligned calipers.Wet or dry there noisy.Got to the point of I hate them ! Much prefer my rim brakes ☹️

13 rider

Guru
Front or rear ? Or both ,if only one and the discs are the same size swap them around to prove its the rotor . Or do you have a friend with the same disc to swap the wheels to prove the rotors before purchasing new . Is everything tighten up vibration also cause noise

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Tried all ways Fossy,changed pads,re aligned calipers.Wet or dry there noisy.Got to the point of I hate them ! Much prefer my rim brakes ☹️

Hmmm - luck of the draw seems to be the order of the day or maybe the pad/disc combo and properly bedded in.

105 calipers, ice tech rotor and Shimano resin pads - properly bedded in.

No squeal in all conditions.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK, Shimano, known for micro leaks. Check pipe to calliper is done up V tight - was an issue on MrsF's bike - thought tight, not enough - tiny leak in storage.... Can't say I've had many issues TBH. Brake cleaner - go to Euro Car Parts and get a load for cheap. Spray the lot.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks for all replies...yes front and back,front definately worse.Or maybe I just use it more.Have plenty of cleaner,I think maybe I'll bite the bullet and take it to mechanic sooner or later.Thing is I don't remember when it came on so bad.Not used until a few weeks ago as my winter ish bike.Carefull not to contaminate anything when cleaning,bought new pads and boom,embarrassing noise ! I'll look for leak hadn't thought of that but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed Can't tell you how many times I've had wheel out to check/clean.

Velochris

Über Member
Just (forced) to go back to a simple bike with rim brakes. Had two disc bikes and on one of them I did all sorts to stop a bit of noise but never really solved it and found it frustrating trying to solve it.

Bedding in, realigning, pads, rotors...... Ended up a very small leaky piston, which didn't really show until it got much worse.

Slick

Guru
For me, the commuter is silent, but the good bike is a nightmare.

Turns out, the commuter is silent because it can pick up all sorts of debris but the good bike goes on very different routes and braking is kept to a minimum. This has led to glazing the rotors and rubbing both pads and rotors with fine wet and dry has cured my issue.

Nothing more frustrating, hopefully you get your issue sorted as well. :okay:

Top Bottom