Disc vs Caliper on new Road bike - price difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
The other thing to consider I guess is resale value. With more bikes coming with discs rim brakes might be seen as old hat and values might be lower.

I’m not sure, some are still quite happy with a decent rim brake set up.

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
Indeed, doesn’t sound like the OP will be doing big miles, so it’ll take forever to wear out.
Also, what’s the weight penalty for the disc version too?

ye - not sure on that - should have specified.. 200km at the weekend and 40 odd through the week - not huge miles, but I was getting decent enough miles in before this whole COVID kicked in.

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
ye - I wasn't even thinking about the caliper version - was going to go disc all the way until I seen the price difference. If I want to spend the money I can go for the upgrade to disc OR an upgrade from 105 to ultegra. I already ruled out the later as I don't see much difference 105 vs ultegra.

They are both new model 2020 bikes. Unusually tho RE the frame clearance, I think it can still take a 30mm tyre max (but that doesn't bother me as I still go with the thinner = better mentality with 23mm tyres at 120psi)

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
The other thing to consider I guess is resale value. With more bikes coming with discs rim brakes might be seen as old hat and values might be lower.
I doubt I would sell unless I really didn't like it - I usually keep things until they die, try to repair them a few times until they die a little more..! Sentimental hoarder of certain things!

vickster

Legendary Member
Not the Di2 version. They're really sleek:biggrin:
Agreed...but He’s looking at fugly old 105 though!

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
ugh this is only going one way.. more cash.. ultegra, disc, all of it ^_^^_^(well except Di2 actually - I really don't see the point and the faff to gain ratio is too far out (Charging battery for shifting gears.. nah)..

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
Then you are missing out on the comfort and superiority of wider lower pressure tyres, especially when run tubeless, I have run 23mm at 100+ psi, I have some of my best Strava segment times with 38mm tyres at 50psi.
I know, I know - I get the theory - but mentally I haven't made an attempt at it yet! If I get this bike it comes with 28mm stick tyres, so will be sure to try and work out the ideal (lower) pressure.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
400 is quite a difference and it's debatable whether or not its value. But with regards to stopping power there no comparison to rim brakes and the difference in the wet is even better.

I've 7000 series on my Cube and will not buy another road bike without disks. Period. If you can swing the 400 I'd go for it. The weight difference penalty is negligible.

Kajjal

Guru
Not sure why there is a £400 price difference but comparing Ultegra rim brakes to 105 disc brakes was night and day for me. More control, consistency and breaking power , also the brakes take far less effort to use. Best to try a test ride if possible for a few miles on a disc brakes bike to see how you get on with them and if the extra is worth it for you. The ability to fit wider tyres is helpful if the roads by you are uneven.

D

Deleted member 26715

Get on the net or ring around see if you can find the disc version cheaper somewhere else or ask for a discount

Top Bottom