Disc vs Caliper on new Road bike - price difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Which type of brake is best on a turbo trainer?
A pee break usually

simongt

Guru
I had cable discs fitted to my Marin Alpine Trail simply because I was getting worried about the grinding sound when braking after having gone through a muddy section - ! :rofl:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I had cable discs fitted to my Marin Alpine Trail simply because I was getting worried about the grinding sound when braking after having gone through a muddy section - ! :rofl:

Plenty of grinding noises coming from disc brakes, and unlike rims, they grind all the time not just when applied in dirty conditions. Three roadies on new-looking disc brakers went past me at pootling pace on Thursday, and two of the bikes were making so much racket I couldn't hear what the cyclists were chatting about to each other. If that's the price you pay for the supposed superiority of discs, in addition to beating the bikes with an ugly stick, you can keep 'em!

si_c

Guru
Plenty of grinding noises coming from disc brakes, and unlike rims, they grind all the time not just when applied in dirty conditions. Three roadies on new-looking disc brakers went past me at pootling pace on Thursday, and two of the bikes were making so much racket I couldn't hear what the cyclists were chatting about to each other. If that's the price you pay for the supposed superiority of discs, in addition to beating the bikes with an ugly stick, you can keep 'em!

And yet none of my disc braked bikes make any noise at all, braking or not.

screenman

Legendary Member
Strange that, neither do mine

Nor mine.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve had disc brakes on mountain bikes for over 10 years now, if they make a rubbing noise it’s usually because the wheel isn’t in quite straight, it’s rare for the callipers to move.

Top Bottom