Disc vs Caliper on new Road bike - price difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you looked at anything that isn’t going to take 10 weeks? I’d also be concerned given the situation it could take longer. Rose clearly don’t have the frameset and relying on Taiwan to deliver as planned.
Ribble do a good looking 105 disc braked endurance bike for £1200 for example

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Personally I wouldn't even buy a bike with disc brakes because of how ugly it makes them look, let alone pay extra money for the ugliness!

think it depends on the outlay and how much money that is for the op.

If you intend to keep the bike along time - then go discs - just for future proofing. In terms of stopping power certainly in dry weather I don't think there is much in it - mostly discs give a nice feel to braking.

I think discs are the future and nearly everyone at the club I am in, who buys a new bike has discs. They are downsides, through axles are a pain in the neck and the maintenance isn't as straightforward esp with hydro discs.

That said if you want to save £400 - I would doubt rim brakes would be found wanting - sure they aren't as good in wet - but then you adjust your speed accordingly.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
sure they aren't as good in wet

This is one thing I don't understand. I can very easily lock up rim brakes in the wet, indeed I need to be careful not to.

IMV for road bikes the key advantage is not wearing out rims, but the more easily replaced discs and pads instead.

si_c

Guru
This is one thing I don't understand. I can very easily lock up rim brakes in the wet, indeed I need to be careful not to.

IMV for road bikes the key advantage is not wearing out rims, but the more easily replaced discs and pads instead.
It's not about being able to lock up the rim or not, in many respects it's easier to lock up a wheel in the wet than in the dry. More to the point is the delay in braking caused by wet rims and the reduced control over brake performance. Of course if you are used to rim brakes in the wet you know how much to compensate for this but the advantage of disc brakes is that under all but the worst of conditions when you pull the lever you start braking, no delay.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Also as you mentioned touring disks are definitely the way to go. And wet and dry there is a massive difference in stopping power in my experience. And I'm referring to hydraulic disk and not cable operated disk, where I would use rim brake in preference.

i have a Trek Madone on order with disc brakes. I opted to get them because I'm not concerned about the weight penalty on an aero bike and racing MTB, I appreciate how effective they are compared to rim.

Remember, the cost difference isn't only components, the frames on disc bikes are different too, beefier in certain parts to accommodate different braking forces.

I still like rim too and prefer them aesthetically, my Wilier has them and as my lightweight climbing bike, I prefer them on that but the effectiveness of the stopping power vs disc is night and day really.

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
ugh - about to go for the disc 105 version.. until I noticed the rim version is now available in 4 weeks (instead of 10)..

Even 10 weeks I can live with - should still give some summer riding (almost)..

The 400 quid is affordable - it just seemed a bit steep - and wondering the true benefits and (and costs).
Think I will go for the disc version, and that will become the winter bike as I doubt the old cube will survive another winter of harsh conditions..!!

Thanks all for the replies!

si_c

Guru
10 weeks is July - that gives you most of July, all of August and September to ride it. Make the most of your current bike in the good weather!

You won't be disappointed with the disc version - and if you ride in all conditions through winter it's the right choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
10 weeks is July - that gives you most of July, all of August and September to ride it. Make the most of your current bike in the good weather!

You won't be disappointed with the disc version - and if you ride in all conditions through winter it's the right choice.
As long as it is *only* 10 weeks. I’m sceptical given the situation

Top Bottom