Discarded drinks....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
It's currently the worst time of the year - high winds to blow it about and not much greenery yet to hide it.

With council budgets cut to the bone it's unlikely to get better any time soon.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
people can be are disgusting!!
FTFY

snorri

Legendary Member
Apparently their is a local person who goes litter picking and helps others do the same
I may contact him and organise something when this Covid stuff is less critical - i.e. I have had my 2nd jab or I may not - I get lazy at times - but I am good at intentions!!
It doesn't require much organisation or help, just an old pannier on the bike and a pair of gloves. It's not a dirty job, I only lift drinks containers, most of these are thrown from cars and land on grassy verges where they get washed with rain while waiting pick-up. If anything looks disgusting I just leave it there.
Last year from April to December I recycled 2195 containers of glass, plastic or metal, all taken off roadsides and shorelines on selected locations or routes which I endeavour to keep clear. I made a folding litter picker which fits in my pannier and on my last outing used it to recover 36 bottles from a rainwater filled ditch.
I feel I need something to do whilst cycling, otherwise it would get boring:biggrin:

3.Fosters (I didn't know anyone still drank that shite)

Fosters is essentially beer homeopathy.

gbb

Legendary Member
Apparently their is a local person who goes litter picking and helps others do the same

I may contact him and organise something when this Covid stuff is less critical - i.e. I have had my 2nd jab

or I may not - I get lazy at times - but I am good at intentions!!
Not so much now but i used to walk the dog first thing in the morning (5am) and pick litter on the walk. Now dont have a dog but occasionally act as though i do....and pick litter on our old circuit.
Our local councillor arranges litter picks through the parish and they do a good job with quite a few volunteers, they advertise the fact via FB. It always gets favourable comments each time from appreciative locals.
And yes, we suffer like most other places i suspect. It always amazes me the littler tangled up in shrubs right outside peoples front doors, and it stays there looking like a blot on the landscape, just doesnt seem to bother the occupier.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Munchkin Minor was telling us just last night about how when she was in Germany she mentioned to a local how litter-free everywhere was, to be told that one reason was because every drinks container carries a deposit, so discarded ones tend to get hoovered up by homeless people pretty much before they hit the ground. She went to a festival in Berlin that went on into the night, with everyone there leaving all their bottles and cans when they left. By dawn the next day, all gone, as if by magic!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Last we I ran our scout river and park clean-up and picked up record amounts of crap. As usual before we started I was sweeping the jetties of broken glass that the local yobs find funny to create. What struck me this year was not the drink containers despite lockdown easing and the weather being good, it was the copious amounts of plastic waste, mainly decaying plastic bags.

Top Bottom