Disconnecting a Son 28 hub dynamo to remove the wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattsr

Hi

I've got a Son 28 disc front hub dynamo on my new bike and have a puncture on the front tyre. I can see a double pronged connector which I obviously need to unplug but try as I might I can't seem to get it off. I'm just a bit nervous about breaking something. Does it just need a really good pull or is there something else I should do?
20190302_092759.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It must have corroded. Mine slip off easily, but not so easily that they bounce off in use. I also position the connection, up, in line with the fork. No bends and nice and tidy. This way the cables and spade connectors aren’t bent off at harsh angles. The wire and connectors will just fatigue and break in your case.

You need to snip them off and start again.

CXRAndy

Guru
Use di electric grease on the connection to keep moisture away prevent corrosion.

I would use a flat blade screwdriver a piece of wood and gently lever the connection in a vertical plane. Remake as suggested.

My Son didn't have a connection block just individual spade connection on each terminal

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sons are known to suffer from water ingress, so I would be inclined to have the connectors pointing downwards if there's enough slack in the cable to form a 'drip loop'.

Top Bottom