Discrepancies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
On each ride I do, I use my Garmin 200 and an app on my phone called Bikeometer, which is a very good app I think. My question is: both give a good accurate reading of mileage but when it comes to average speed, the phone app always gives a lower average speed than Garmin. Both are set to pause when I stop. Why the discrepancy then? Of course I tend to believe Garmin for average speed.

Slick

Guru
I assume the Garmin is slightly higher?

bpsmith

Veteran
I never understand why people record the same rides twice?

Quite often they also upload both to Strava, which is very annoying.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wahoo (on handlebars) and iphone strava app (in rack bag) also slightly different esp on elevation. Assume different algorithms

vickster

Legendary Member
I never understand why people record the same rides twice?

Quite often they also upload both to Strava, which is very annoying.
I nearly record on two devices just to be sure. Always have. Always delete one immediately. Not sure why that’s an issue?

bpsmith

Veteran
I nearly record on two devices just to be sure. Always have. Always delete one immediately. Not sure why that’s an issue?
I don’t have an issue with the recording of duplicates. Each to their own. I just don’t get it tbh. My Garmin hasn’t lost any rides, so perhaps that’s why?

My gripe is uploading them both. That’s just daft.

Not an issue if you don't try and 'keep' both records. Doesn't matter how you do it, record twice and there will be discrepancies. Plenty of error capability in both the devices and GPS to account for it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t have an issue with the recording of duplicates. Each to their own. I just don’t get it tbh. My Garmin hasn’t lost any rides, so perhaps that’s why?

My gripe is uploading them both. That’s just daft.
Mine upload automatically and I delete one asap. The wahoo doesn't have an obvious battery symbol so sometimes it stops halfway through, as occasionally might the phone. Hence using both, probably a hangover from the old garmin 800 which was purely a back up and told me what was happening during the ride (my phone isn't visible ever). I very rarely uploaded from the garmin as it had to be attached to a PC (one reason for switching to wahoo). As I use Strava to basically record distance, I tend to go with the device that has recorded further (if I start at same time normally within 0.2 miles)

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The reason why I record twice is because the Garmin doesn't show me a map anymore and the other does. I don't download my rides on the computer anymore.

Sharky

Guru
Slightly off topic, but I got annoyed with my garmin 200 today. On a hilly 20 mile loop I expect to achieve an average somewhere in the 13mph range. Anyway today, was going well and in the last mile or so, nudged it up to 14.0 mph avg. really chuffed. But after saving the ride, looked at the "fastest" rides list and there it was, but now showing 13.99 mph avg. so just missed the 14 target. Must be down to rounding differences between 1 and two DP's. Will have to try a bit harder next time.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why record your rides? Are you training for the TDF?
I do it simply to keep a record of the distance ridden. Seldom does the time taken come into it. When it does, it's usually because something stands out as not right.

Distance is both trip and total. Often a shorter way, distance wise, ends up taking longer. Repeating that route on a regular basis commuting for instance, gives no real gain. Often with traffic actually slowing me down(others using the shortcut).

Top Bottom