Discs, are they the DBs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member
It seems that in my price range I'm unlikely to get discs and 105, so tempted to go the 105 route. Having a visit to Evans next weekend to see what " bangs for bucks" I can get

goody

Veteran
I use disc braked bike (caadx) for commuting and long distance rides. Currently looking to replace my best, nice day out and fast ride bike. It's going to have rim brakes. Less weight, more wheel choice, cheaper for comparable groupsets work just as well in the dry (which is hopefully the where it will spend 99% of it's time).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Kajjal

Guru
Disc brakes are advantageous in wet braking. However, that doesn't mean that they brake better under all conditions. The factor limiting your maximum stopping distance is isn't the brake itself, but the moment of inertia around your centre of gravity and the front wheel. In dry conditons, discs cannot make you stop quicker than reasonable quality rim brakes. You will endo before you reach the type of deceleration that will cause a front wheel to skid.
Disc brakes have some disadvantages though. They require heavier forks, are best paired with through-axle hubs rather than QR hubs, they are noisy, contamination reduces performance and increases noise and vibration and, cable disc brakes are a step backwards.
Disc brakes are still poorly understood with the trade who frequently match the wrong pads with a specific type of disc and then don't understand how the noise is generated under such conditions.
Disc brakes require very careful bedding in after each pad change and when new. Few people, including the trade, pay enough heed to this requirement and end up with substandard, disappointing brakes.
The biggest driver towards disc brakes on high-end bikes is carbon wheels, not better stopping. Carbon wheels don't like hub brakes at all. The biggest driver on entry-level bikes could be quicker reaction time in the wet but being a cynic, I'll say it is false belief that they are better overall. They are not.

Have you ever ridden a road bike with hydraulic discs or a mountain bike ?

In the dry i can pull up much quicker than with rim brakes due to more power, feel and control on my road bike. The reason they are so popular on mountain biking is the level of control they give you for little effort. My mountain bike has QR hubs and i have set KOMS on it off road, through axels are better but again no issues. All brakes are noisy / perform poorly if contaminated. My old mountain bikes vbrakes would grind away in the wet and mud. I have skidded a front wheel under heavy braking due to lack of concentration on my part.

Bedding in disc brakes just takes a few sprints and hard controlled braking and you are good to go. Even better find a long hill to use.

huwsparky

Über Member
The experiment with discs in the pro peleton has been stopped due to some very nasty incidents during Paris Roubaix.

Open with care .....

https://m.facebook.com/fran.ventoso.9/posts/pcb.10156809619355611/?photo_id=10156809485095611&mds=/photos/viewer/?photoset_token=pcb.10156809619355611&photo=10156809485095611&profileid=100001955307065&source=48&cached_data=false&ftid=u_0_19&mdf=1

I don't think discs are needed on a road bike.
That was always gonna happen, just a question of when.

I also don't think they should be used in the peleton. Having greater breaking power makes crashes more likely in itself. Yes, the same or similar could happen with a chainring but a chainring 'has' to be there, a disk brake doesn't.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Disc brakes are the future, But we are not seeing the best of them yet, The low end disc's are heavy and ugly, There will be a lot more to come from disc's, but at the moment i will stick with calipers.:okay:

Your decision and depends what you want the bike for

Disc brakes come in far too many models, shapes and sizes to allow easy repair in a remote area or in case of damage.

Try getting someone to repair a hydraulic brake system in a local bik shop, or to repair yourself at the roadside

It can be made simpler by using cable discs, but even then it can be difficult to source parts

Rim brakes are dfar easier to maintain and source parts for, one of the reasons that my Thorn has them

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you want quality you have to pay..simple as that..
id go with rim brakes at 700+ budget and fit quality brake blocks..

Have you ever ridden a road bike with hydraulic discs or a mountain bike ?

In the dry i can pull up much quicker than with rim brakes due to more power, feel and control on my road bike. The reason they are so popular on mountain biking is the level of control they give you for little effort. My mountain bike has QR hubs and i have set KOMS on it off road, through axels are better but again no issues. All brakes are noisy / perform poorly if contaminated. My old mountain bikes vbrakes would grind away in the wet and mud. I have skidded a front wheel under heavy braking due to lack of concentration on my part.

Bedding in disc brakes just takes a few sprints and hard controlled braking and you are good to go. Even better find a long hill to use.
Please explain how you can stop (pull up?) much quicker in the dry with discs rather than other types? Tell us which brake works and does what at maximum deceleration.

Of course QRs work, but you'll see a trend towards through axle because of user stupidity issues. Already the ambulance chasers are lining up. This can be seen by component manufacturers offering TA hubs and some fork manufacturers only offering TA in disc type. It is a trend, that's all.

Please give us detail about that skidding front wheel.

That was always gonna happen, just a question of when.

I also don't think they should be used in the peleton. Having greater breaking power makes crashes more likely in itself. Yes, the same or similar could happen with a chainring but a chainring 'has' to be there, a disk brake doesn't.
They simply don't have more braking power. Braking is limited by end-over, not by the clamping force at the wheel. Calipers can already do an en-over, so deceleration in the dry with both brakes is equal.

Venod

Eh up
With discs to improve the feel and effort required to stop, bigger rotors are fitted, now imagine the rim as a large disc (ok the braking surface is a lot less in area) and you can see why Caliper brakes are so effective, discs may have an advantage in wet muddy conditions but when dry with the correct blocks fitted calipers are just as good (IMO) of course rim wear is also to be considered.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Disc brakes are the future, But we are not seeing the best of them yet, The low end disc's are heavy and ugly, There will be a lot more to come from disc's, but at the moment i will stick with calipers.:okay:
That was my thinking when I had the Rourke built. Apart from which rim brakes with decent blocks work just fine.

vickster

Legendary Member
It seems that in my price range I'm unlikely to get discs and 105, so tempted to go the 105 route. Having a visit to Evans next weekend to see what " bangs for bucks" I can get
Is your budget flexible? This is a good price with 105 and discs if the right size. More CX than road but you could probably add thinner slicker tyres and it doesn't sound like you want to race

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-x20-105-ar-commuter-cx-bike-2016-86641.html

Evans have a disc road bike for £700 but Sora

I'd just go for rim brakes unless planning to ride in all weathers.

Top Bottom