Discs, are they the DBs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I don't have a bike with disc brakes. However, if you read between the lines on all the above comments it is universally agreed that discs are better in the wet.
Last year when @ianrauk and I were on tour, we descended into Lons le Saunier in torrential rain. I was gripping my brakes like there was no tomorrow and it was really tough. Ian meanwhile was dabbing his brakes with little effort and was in much better control.
When you combine this with cheaper running costs I would say that discs are a no-brainer

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A £9 disc on £950 wheels (I like nice wheels)

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member
Thanks for all of the comments/observations. On balance think I will go the disc route. Now all I've got to do is decide what bike!

Will probably be back bugging you all in a new posting

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I know it is utterly pathetic but I just like the longevity and lack of maintenance and adjusting on Hydraulic Brakes, and not wearing out rims. Any other benefit is a bonus for me

Doesn't sound a lot but the constant adjusting after wet rides and replacing pads gets on my nerves during the winter. I reckon 3000 winter miles would have pretty much ruined a decent rear wheel and quite a few pad sets.

The only real downside is that they are mostly only on relaxed geometry bikes unless you pay big money for an Specialized Tarmac or Focus Izalco. This might stay the same if the UCI doesn't resume testing in racing. Also unless you spend big you are not going to get a lightweight bike, not a huge problem but the relaxed bothers me in the Summer when I would like a racier lighter non mudguard disc braked bike.

huwsparky

Über Member
I know it is utterly pathetic but I just like the longevity and lack of maintenance and adjusting on Hydraulic Brakes, and not wearing out rims. Any other benefit is a bonus for me

Doesn't sound a lot but the constant adjusting after wet rides and replacing pads gets on my nerves during the winter. I reckon 3000 winter miles would have pretty much ruined a decent rear wheel and quite a few pad sets.

The only real downside is that they are mostly only on relaxed geometry bikes unless you pay big money for an Specialized Tarmac or Focus Izalco. This might stay the same if the UCI doesn't resume testing in racing. Also unless you spend big you are not going to get a lightweight bike, not a huge problem but the relaxed bothers me in the Summer when I would like a racier lighter non mudguard disc braked bike.
Check out the new bike from Rose.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/road/aero/x-lite-cwx/

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not over keen on the aero seat tube, but still pretty big cash. Cheapest 3.5k

I would rather one of these - a mere 6.8kg but then again it is £4600..

upload_2016-4-17_14-12-44.png

If you are commuting in all weathers with lots of stop start at traffic lights etc then you will wear through rims with calipers. Mine tend to last 18 to 24 months and my commute is only 20 mins each way.
40 mins a day in stop start, 10 miles max, 5 days a week = 50 miles, 48 weeks a year = under 2000 miles, wtf, you do in a set of rims in 3-4k miles??? What are you using for brake pads??

pclay

Veteran
I am contemplating buying a new road bike with di2 and disc brakes- the Cannondale synapse di2 looks ideal

I have a cx bike at the moment with mechanical disks, and when it is wet they squeal so loud that I am embarrassed to even be out and about. Do hydraulic disks squeal as well?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I am contemplating buying a new road bike with di2 and disc brakes- the Cannondale synapse di2 looks ideal

I have a cx bike at the moment with mechanical disks, and when it is wet they squeal so loud that I am embarrassed to even be out and about. Do hydraulic disks squeal as well?
The braking surface is identical whether it's mechanical or hydraulic. If it's going to make a noise, it'll make one.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Doesn't matter on the system - pads squeal due to contamination or not being bedded in properly when new. Resin pads tend to be quieter than sintered.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru

It depends on the pads and quality of the brakes. Cheap cable brakes with contaminated pads will squeal alot. Better quality brakes will only squeal in prolonged down poors or wet, muddy conditions . If you ride through surface water a quick tap of the brakes will clear them.

vickster

Legendary Member
I did have a look at the Planet X, but would want to give it a spin first, doesn't seem to be anywhere in Devon that I can try one :sad:
I think you'll struggle to get near your budget if wanting discs and 105 if wanting to buy from an LBS selling mainstream brands. Have you considered second hand, although your location may complicate that too

Top Bottom