Discs or Vs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,
continuing from my other thread.. What brakes are recommended on a flat bat commuter? Discs or Vs?

Cheers
Rich

bianco

I think V's are all thats required, I use a road bike thats only got dual pivots and thats fine for me.

The one thing I've done though is upgrade my pads to kool stop salmons. They rule in both dry and wet, so if you do go for V's, make sure you get kool stop pads.

Martin

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Disks certainly wouldn't be anything like a top prioirty, but if I was putting together the 'ultimate' commuter, I think it would include some Hope hydraulic disks.

If only because they don't get that grey brake crud stuff everywhere which you do with Vs in bad winter weather.

Quality disk brakes absolutely rule - Hope hydros are sooooo good. I say this often but I cannot wait for manufacturers to get their fingers out and put hydraulic disks on roadbikes.

Good quality cable disks are also very good, and I would still prefer them to v-brakes.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Good quality cable disks

Is there such a beast? found they try to occupy a central ground between Vs and Hydros that doesn't really exist. More of a gimmick than 'owt else.

Hmm, well I ran an RST Disk-X for a long time, and found that to be superb. Obviously I put a pair of quality Aztec sintered pads on it, but that brake was top class (though a little fiddly to set up initially).

bonj2

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Quality disk brakes absolutely rule - Hope hydros are sooooo good. I say this often but I cannot wait for manufacturers to get their fingers out and put hydraulic disks on roadbikes.

Good quality cable disks are also very good, and I would still prefer them to v-brakes.

isn't the reason road bikes don't have disk brakes because disk brakes are heavier? do you ever find yourself needing disk brakes on a road bike? :blush: (or wishing you did have them?)

Peyote

bonj said:
isn't the reason road bikes don't have disk brakes because disk brakes are heavier? do you ever find yourself needing disk brakes on a road bike? :blush: (or wishing you did have them?)

It's a rarity for me to want disk brakes on my road bike, but it would save on the wear and tear on rims. I guess the braking maybe a bit better in wet weather too (though probably not that much).

I think that as a general rule disk brakes are heavier, but you can get some incredibly lightweight systems these days, certainly ones to rival V-brakes, so I don't see why they shouldn't rival dual pivots too. Of course this is taking into account the weight savings that can be gained by using disk-specific rims too.

edited to add - I don't think they are needed on a roadbike, but sometimes it would be nice!

I would love to see discs on road bikes, you could use a substantially smaller, possibly alu disc, trouble is you would also require a substantial reinforcing of the lower fork or the addition of a long torque arm to stop the drop-outs being ripped off. They'll be along in the next couple of years I predict. Nice little aero calipers! Internal hose routing! You could really improve airflow where the side-pulls used to reside. Phoar

Disk brake systems are slightly heavier, thats true, but a lightweight road system is not out of the bounds of possibility at all.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks IMO (UCI excluded) is that people assume that disk brakes are these outrageously powerful brakes, better suited for stopping a train than bicycle. This is just not the case, many low end disks are not as powerful as v-brakes for example, and any fitted to a roadbike obviously would not be as powerful as those checking the progress of a DH bike.

mickle, check this out - I have been drooling over this for a while now, hoping that it will become reality soon.
http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html

Peyote

If you're just commuting, disc brakes are an unnecessary, heavier, more expensive and fiddlier alternative.

Oh I don't know. I've had more fiddling problems with all the rim brakes I've ever owned in comparison to the Deore Hydros on my MTB. Heavier, more expensive* and unneccesary, you're probably correct about though!

*Although factoring in rim expense of rim braked commuters (I'm assuming all weathers) then a couple of years and I reckon they'd work out about the same price wise too.

U

User482

Discs are great - I have Hope Mono Minis on my MTB. Fit and forget, just need a service every couple of years.

Top Bottom