Dish washer or washing up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MrsPete always uses the machine, even if a quick wipe round with a soapy dishcloth would suffice.
300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have had dishwashers for the last 30 years. I hate washing up. Just rinse the worst off, put them in the dishwasher and shut the door. No mess. My last one bit the dust at the beginning of this year, and i can't aford to replace it yet. :cry::cry:

steverob

Guru
When we moved into our house back in 2002, there was only room for four appliances in the very small kitchen between the various cupboards. A cooker, a fridge freezer and a washing machine were all non-negotiable choices, leaving just one more space for either a dishwasher or a tumble dryer. The previous occupants must have opted for a dishwasher, given the house reeking of damp clothes when we'd come round to view it originally - not wanting to re-create that smell meant that a dryer was always going to be the better choice for us.

And as it's only the two of us (plus the cat, who gets through way more dishes than both of us combined!), a sink full of washing up is at most a five minute job.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We always had a slim dishwasher and it was great, would even clean everything on a 30min cycle - occasionally had to wipe off extra grime but as it's been soaked it comes off easily. Now I live alone I don't have one, but I find I'm using a lot of water and washing up liquid. I actually think I use more water per day than running the dishwasher every few days.

Reactions: C R

tom73

Guru
Wash up can't be doing the the faff of a dishwasher not including the energy they consume. The in-laws now have one and the amount of prep you need you may well wash them up anyway.

Agatha Christie said she did her thinking over the washing up and some for her best ideas came about when washing the pot's.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A friend of mine was having a mass panic once about his dish washer packing up. He was on the phone to this and that repairer saying he was willing to pay twice their usual call out charges to come out on Sunday as he 'couldn't survive without the machine'. How many live in his house you may ask. Just him and his wife,that's all.:rolleyes:

PK99

Legendary Member
The actual numbers are quite surprising:

https://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/built-in-dishwashers-vs-hand-washing-which-is-greener.html

Built in dishwasher vs. hand-washing: And the winner is...
These numbers indicate that it's possible to be more efficient when hand-washing, but it's pretty tough. Can you successfully wash and rinse a soiled dinner plate in just over a cup of water? If you can keep the water use low, equal to an efficient machine, you'll require less energy, but doing an entire load of dishes in 4 gallons of water is roughly equivalent to doing them all in the same amount of water you use in 96 seconds of showering (using a showerhead that emits 2.5 gallons per minute).

So, as long as you don't often run your dishwasher when it's only half full of dirty dishes, or unless you are very miserly with your water use (or have an old, inefficient dishwasher), the automatic dishwasher is likely to be more efficient. That is to say, it's possible to use less water and energy by hand washing your dishes, but it's not easy. Of course, if you do it just right, it might just be a wash.

Reactions: C R
We have one and it's stack up full before it's used, so once a week.
When we move in a few weeks we're going back to the manual method.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Half size dishwasher for me. Run 3 times a week probably. I wash up almost nothing by hand
We have a dishwasher and it gets used 2-3 times a week. One of the things with a washer is that you need 2 sets of crockery and cutlery or else the thing has to be on every other day when it is half empty.
I actually prefer to hand wash the stuff in the sink. I find it quite therapeutic. MrsP does not agree.
Edit-- Plus you are recommended to rinse the dishes and stuff first, if you are going to do that you may as well wash the stuff properly.

Reactions: mjr

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No dishwasher for me, I'm not keen on leaving plates dirty for a few days which I would have to do to fill it.

Some posh friends of mine had one which I observed being filled after a dinner party.

Seemed a faff to me, this couldn't go in, that could, but would need rinsing, something else needed to be packed in a certain way.

That was a few years ago, and I believe part of the problem was the detergent which would scour 'fragile' items such as cut glass glasses and expensive dinner ware.

Is that still the case, or can you now chuck in granny's finest Stuart crystal?

vickster

Legendary Member
We have a dishwasher and it gets used 2-3 times a week. One of the things with a washer is that you need 2 sets of crockery and cutlery or else the thing has to be on every other day when it is half empty.
I actually prefer to hand wash the stuff in the sink. I find it quite therapeutic. MrsP does not agree.
Edit-- Plus you are recommended to rinse the dishes and stuff first, if you are going to do that you may as well wash the stuff properly.
I have plenty of stuff to last me 3 days. None of my plates and mugs are particularly dirty either. I might have to rinse a spoon. My porridge bowls have a soak before going in.

The faff of using a dishwasher is minimal compared to washing, drying, and the bit I was awful at, putting away. I constantly had a pile of stuff on the draining board!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Dishwasher goes on roughly twice a week when there are two of us at home. But stuff that cannot go in the dishwasher gets washed by me.
It's also handy for washing car parts when the need arises and Mrs B is out of the house for a few hours. :whistle:

subaqua

What’s the point
By Hand. only house i lived in with a dishwasher was when i rented a room off a mate. his missus wasnt impressed with me using the dishwaher to degrease Gearbox parts.

they get taken to work and done in the office dishwasher now ...

Top Bottom