Dismounting on a track bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Off to the Velodrome again today (weather permitting as it`s an outdoor one) and this will be my third visit in as many weeks. Also means it`s only been my third time on a track bike.

I`m fine going round, it`s stopping I have trouble with. How on earth do you dismount if there`s no barrier to grab onto. The instructor is there but sometimes he is catching someone else as I roll in.

Last time, I thought it was easier to crash than bump into both of them.

Any tips well appreciated!

S-Express

Stop bike, get off bike.

S-Express

Problem is, the minute you stop pedalling, the track bike chucks you off - it`s a fine art unclip and pedalling at the same time - an art I`m yet to master!
The only thing I can suggest is to watch how others (not beginners) do it. It really isn't something that needs dwelling on too much.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Any tips well appreciated!

Learn how to trackstand.

midlife

Guru
Unclip left foot and stick it out a bit to clear the arc of the crank. Come to a halt. Put left foot on the floor :smile:

Do not do what I did at the end of a grasstrack race and fall off!

Shaun

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
It`s learning that point between cycling very very slowly and not so slow that the track bike kicks you off. I unlipped with my left once but couldn`t seem to stop pushing with my right, I looked a complete eejit with my left leg sticking out.

Off to the Velodrome in a bit so will report back later!

Vegan1

Finding the co-ordination to leg brake and unclip from a track bike can be tricky for sure.

Look to bring the bike down to walking speed, then unclip your lead leg and let the bike come to a stop and put your foot down.

For added coolness unclip your weaker foot, as your lead foot comes up from the deadspot uncock your leg over the top tube, just as your lead foot comes down put your trailing leg on the ground and straight away unclip your lead foot and walk with the bike.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
For added coolness unclip your weaker foot, as your lead foot comes up from the deadspot uncock your leg over the top tube, just as your lead foot comes down put your trailing leg on the ground and straight away unclip your lead foot and walk with the bike.

Exactly the technique I use. But that's hardly surprising since I am the epitome of cool. :becool:

If you have to stop before dismounting, make sure the front wheel is turned in the opposite direction to the unclipped foot when you stop - ie if you've unclipped your left foot, turn the bars to the right. This will ensure that the bike 'falls' to the left.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Well, I didn`t crash like I did the last time but all stops were on the fence at the top of the track. We were allowed to walk down the track (for a drink break) though but it proved equally difficult to walk back up to the bike!

I did pay close attention to what the others were doing so I may practice on my road bike attempting to keep pedalling really slowly as I unclip and step off!

Top Bottom