Disposing of 'presumed' Live Ammo - Part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
We once had a chap who had a shotgun to hand in. Alas, instead on sensibly wrapping it up he marched up the street with it in his hand and he got very shirty when he found himself staring down the barrels of a couple of Sig P226's. He got really, really arsey - seems the boys should be telepathic and automatically know that he wasn't up to no good.

Mind you, I was once doing a speed check when some daft eejit crashed because he thought I was pointing a gun at him and panicked.

wisdom

Guru
They will be ok best bet is a jiffy bag and ensure that the primers(centre ring on the head) is not going to be banged.
They will not go off.
Easiest way is to alternate them next to each other.

classic33

Leg End Member
We once had a chap who had a shotgun to hand in. Alas, instead on sensibly wrapping it up he marched up the street with it in his hand and he got very shirty when he found himself staring down the barrels of a couple of Sig P226's. He got really, really arsey - seems the boys should be telepathic and automatically know that he wasn't up to no good.

Mind you, I was once doing a speed check when some daft eejit crashed because he thought I was pointing a gun at him and panicked.
Try getting two blank mortar rounds home from the factory that made the real thing.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not nice to be the receiver of bad news. The thread lock clearly barrelled into Smoket, a d ow hes the butt of our jokes. It doesnt take much to trigger off a chain of puns either. We should ha,mer down on that and guard against it, get a proper grip.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
This thread has lasted longer. The other one was just a flash in the pan.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
When I was a kid I was on some waste ground with some mates and we were amusing ourselves by throwing rocks at some tin cans. After knocking them down we went to set them up again and right next to one of them was a shell. It was about 5 or 6 inches long and complete with bullet.

We picked it up (yeah, I know, we were stupid!) and took it to the police station. They told us it looked like it was a machine gun round from a tank. The waste ground had piles of topsoil on it - they were building up/levelling the plot for the bowling alley that was later built there) - so the rould had obviously been in that soil. I did occasionally wonder how many other rounds might have been under our feet as I played there in a bowling league later.

byegad

Legendary Member
Never underestimate people's stupidity.

Back in the 1960s while hiking on ex MOD ground, surrounded by signs telling you to leave any metal objects where they were and not touch them! A fellow walker came up to me with the business end of an 81mm mortar bomb in his hand, saying 'look what I've found'.

I asked him to gently put it down, so he dropped it! I swear to this day that I beat it to the ground. The berating I gave him went in one ear, bounced and echoed around and came out of the other. We didn't take him hiking again.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Anyway, does Smomeysmoo still have that warhead for sale?
Found this piece of farming gear that I think look like a rocket launcher, and it's got your name all over it :laugh:
Corn-Heads-Drago-830-12188851.jpg

Here it is in action :laugh:
hqdefault (1).jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to go to Syria often on business. My agent there had got rich after one of the Arab-Israeli wars by landing the job of collecting all the old brass shell casings. He had scrapped most but kept a few good ones, which he got filled with tar then engraved by craftsmen in the Damascus souk, the tar then melted out and the beautiful casings sold to souvenir shops as pen holders, lamp bases etc. He handed me one about a foot long while mumbling in his diffident way: "This..... is an old Syrian army shell..... er.... the um... front half went to Israel!"

I still giggle about it, years later.

Top Bottom