Disposing of 'presumed' Live Ammo - Part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Never underestimate people's stupidity.

Back in the 1960s while hiking on ex MOD ground, surrounded by signs telling you to leave any metal objects where they were and not touch them! A fellow walker came up to me with the business end of an 81mm mortar bomb in his hand, saying 'look what I've found'.

I asked him to gently put it down, so he dropped it! I swear to this day that I beat it to the ground. The berating I gave him went in one ear, bounced and echoed around and came out of the other. We didn't take him hiking again.
In my defence I was only about 12 years old at the time. ALL 12 year old boys are stupid (whether they know it or not).

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
At least we had sense enough to (carefully) take it to the cops and not throw stones at it! :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Aged about 14 my buddy and I wandered into a lineside hut (no fences on the railways at that time) where we found a store of signal detonators, green metal canisters with a lead strip attached, which you placed on the line where they would explode as a train passed over so as to alert track crews to a train approaching in fog. We took a few home and after much effort succeeded in getting one to explode by dropping a large piece of tree trunk onto it. The resulting bang made our ears ring and cracked a pane of glass in the nearby garden shed.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I have a couple of (disarmed) hand grenades, which I think are from WWI, given to me in the mid 1960s. The late husband of the lady who gave them to me, just seemed to have demobbed with all his kit, as she had all sorts of infantry gear stuff in her house. IIRC she used a bayonet on wood to get the fire going.

I do have a couple of bits of ordnance, both certified FFE

The smaller round is a 20mm Oerlikon round and the larger one is a 4.5" naval shell (weighing in at a hefty 35kg)

And they are definitely not going in the amnesty bin !!

A friend of mine suggested that when I am too old to move the 4.5 about, to bury it in my garden, then in a number of years someone will dig it up, sh*t themselves and they will have to evacuate the area and conduct a controlled explosion !!!

I think I'll just donate it to the Naval Museum in Pompey !!

DSC_7338.JPG

DSC_7341.JPG

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I do have a couple of bits of ordnance, both certified FFE

The smaller round is a 20mm Oerlikon round and the larger one is a 4.5" naval shell (weighing in at a hefty 35kg)

And they are definitely not going in the amnesty bin !!

A friend of mine suggested that when I am too old to move the 4.5 about, to bury it in my garden, then in a number of years someone will dig it up, sh*t themselves and they will have to evacuate the area and conduct a controlled explosion !!!

I think I'll just donate it to the Naval Museum in Pompey !!

View attachment 447320

View attachment 447321

:laugh:
Blimey, Where did you get that minature tape measure. I just got a pair of dice and a paper crown in my cracker.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It looks like mentioning bricks and nails isn't OK. How about putting .22 rounds on the railway track at the local level crossing?

(We had to cycle away at a fair lick to avoid being fingered by the British Transport Police..)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Aged about 14 my buddy and I wandered into a lineside hut (no fences on the railways at that time) where we found a store of signal detonators, green metal canisters with a lead strip attached, which you placed on the line where they would explode as a train passed over so as to alert track crews to a train approaching in fog. We took a few home and after much effort succeeded in getting one to explode by dropping a large piece of tree trunk onto it. The resulting bang made our ears ring and cracked a pane of glass in the nearby garden shed.
A remarkably similar story to my cousin in the early 1980s, except he ended up in A&E minus two fingers.

Top Bottom