Dissapointed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

Crackle said:
Skwerl, I must admit if the flame flexed that much I'd be surprised. I've just been across to my bike to shove it and push it and see again what happens. On mine it would take a fair amount of flex to get the inner chainwheel to touch, and down in the BB area, the whole bike seems to move equally including the rear chain stay.

Could it have been your chainwheel wasn't true due to the crank being badly fitted on the taper or wrong chainweel/BB combination?

No.

If it was badly fitted you'd see it rotate badly when turned by hand.
If it was the wrong combination (which is wasn't) then flex would be irrelevant, it would contact the stay as soon as it was fitted. As I said. the clearance is the same on both frames so how can you explain contact on the IRO but not on the Condor?

Pushing and pulling your frame is not the same as having 90kg stamped down on it under a power stroke.
When you hid BDC there's is going to be a desire for the foot/pedal to try and head towards the centre-line of the frame, as that's where the natural pivot point is. Therefore, you'd expect some sort of movement in the frame as that happens. How much is going to be down to the stiffness of the tubes.

BTW it is isn't the inner. I only have one chain-ring and I imagine it runs closer to the c/s than a road double or triple. There's approx 5mm clearance IIRC

smiorgan

Had the similar experience as skwerl - moved bits from raleigh fix to pompino frame (same wheels and drivetrain), there had been a visible deflection with the raleigh (18-23 gas pipe steel, longer wheelbase) that I couldn't detect with the pomp.

skwerl said:
No.

If it was badly fitted you'd see it rotate badly when turned by hand.
If it was the wrong combination (which is wasn't) then flex would be irrelevant, it would contact the stay as soon as it was fitted. As I said. the clearance is the same on both frames so how can you explain contact on the IRO but not on the Condor?

Pushing and pulling your frame is not the same as having 90kg stamped down on it under a power stroke.
When you hid BDC there's is going to be a desire for the foot/pedal to try and head towards the centre-line of the frame, as that's where the natural pivot point is. Therefore, you'd expect some sort of movement in the frame as that happens. How much is going to be down to the stiffness of the tubes.

BTW it is isn't the inner. I only have one chain-ring and I imagine it runs closer to the c/s than a road double or triple. There's approx 5mm clearance IIRC

Oh Ok! I didn't think about the fact it was a singlespeed and 5mm is far closer than any double/triple combination I've ever had. Still, I am surprised because I would've thought that the BB area would be the stiffest area to resist a twisting force, which is not even directly applied, instead the greater force is acting sideways. Though I can't think of an alternative explanation to the rubbing if all things are equal on the condor to the old bike. I'm going to have to wait now until I see my mate with his fixie and 'experiment' on it!

bonj2

starseven said:
Bonj if I had a spare, I'd lend you it.

A little reading for you here, its a wiki but theres loads on the web and although more efficient I find the enjoyment comes from not constantly thinking about which gear you are in and just riding
But i don't constantly think about what gear to be in any more than you "constantly think about" what to have for breakfast, or what clothes to wear. Or do you only eve wear identical all in one body suits and eat gruel for every meal.:smile: eh?

starseven said:
Go on you really owe to yourself to find one and give it a go before your knees make it difficult.
Oh purr-lease.
Point 1. But where would I ride it? I sometimes drive out with my MTB to ride it in order to get to the really good terrain, as I live in a city centre. I shouldn't have to do the same with a road bike, as the city centre is surrounded by roads. :blush:
Point 2. A challenge for you, which might make you understand why fixies are generally only for ponces and why I don't ride one. Admittedly I'm not up to doing it every day yet, but I cycle my commute to/back from my current job in 1hr 40mins. The challenge to you, therefore, is this - simply do my commute back from work with me on a fixie. Me on my geared bike, you on a fixie. But you don't have to beat me on it. You don't EVEN have to do it in less than 2hrs. You just have to DO IT. That's all. JUST complete the route. Only rule is there must be no pushing - all distance covered must be ridden. If you rise to that challenge then I will get a fixie, honestly.
If I start getting ahead, I'll slow down to match your pace. If you start getting ahead, then you'll just have to wait for me when there's a choice of road.
OK? That sound like a reasonable challenge?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'll come and do it on a fixed if you really want......

Where is this route? Hope it's near London, otherwise I might not bother.......

bonj2

zimzum42 said:

Where is this route? Hope it's near London, otherwise I might not bother be able to manage it.......

starts in nottinghamshire, through derbyshire, finishes in south yorkshire.

bonj2

zimzum42 said:

Where is this route? Hope it's near London, otherwise I might not bother.......

although, saying that, if you really want zim you can just start at renishaw/mastin moor and finish at frecheville spar petrol station, that might give us the result we're looking for without bothering to slog all the way through bolsover etc.

oh and by the way another rule is that you can't stop unless you have a mecahnical problem etc., no rests just because your legs are tired.

bonj2

tell you what zim, if you can BEAT me on the entire route, i'll give you your train fare home.*

* must be pre-booked day saver, 'cos i'm tight

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Oooh, just spotted this.

Right, still up for it, but it needs to be warm!

Don't worry, i'm up for this challenge, just don't expect it to be this week!

And I'm prepared to lose, sounds like it's not the flattest.

Still, I'll perhaps enjoy the fleeting glory of burning away from you at the start and then just quit, a kind of one stage Cipollini

bonj2

zimzum42 said:
Oooh, just spotted this.

Right, still up for it, but it needs to be warm!

Don't worry, i'm up for this challenge, just don't expect it to be this week!

And I'm prepared to lose, sounds like it's not the flattest.

Still, I'll perhaps enjoy the fleeting glory of burning away from you at the start and then just quit, a kind of one stage Cipollini
fair enough. I've not set the challenge 'cos I'm sure I can definitely beat you, I'm not (though it'd probably be a good idea to drive the route first so you know the way - wouldn't want you ending up in shirebrook, say, or worse - woodhouse :blush::evil:).
It's just that some 'stages' of the route, I'd really like to see ridden on a fixed. Not that I don't think it can be done, just that if it can, I'd really like to see it. What gear ratio do you run?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
81 inches I think it's 48x16

I can flip the wheel to give me 48x19, but it's still not ideal for anything dramatically steep!

Top Bottom