Dissapointed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

"bonj said:
[b"]are you even aware of how up your own back bottom you sound?[/b]
hichakhok said:
I couldn't care less how I sound. Liking something just because it is fashionable often belies a lack of perception of the objects worth and value, and indicates the person is more concerned with socially fitting in, or being fashionable. It would be foolhardy to choose ones daily mode of transport for those reasons thus choosing a certain type bike just because they are in fashion is a bad idea.
You think fixed gear bikes are inferior to geared bikes, and those that ride them only do so for fashion reasons as there are to your myopic mind zero benefits to the rider. Well your wrong, and your "argument" if you can even call it that is wrong. If you think you can tell why someone you have never met before does something then your simply being a nutter. You need to listen to and accept other people, especially when they say things you cannot comprehend.

All you can do is take the piss and insist I am lying and have other reasons. Your a bit mad.

Feel free to have the last word.

...obviously not, then. You've obviously gone so far up there you've managed to convince even yourself there are tangible benefits.
My (fairly simple) argument is a physical one - that the simple fact that it's fixed adds no power or efficiency to the forward motion at all. That's not my opinion, that's the laws of physics working. Given that, then, the only thing the fact that it's fixed changes about the bike is to remove an element of freedom.

Canrider

Guru
My (fairly simple) argument is a physical one - that the simple fact that it's fixed adds no power or efficiency to the forward motion at all. That's not my opinion, that's the laws of physics working.
Uh, what?
Let me guess, we're using the bonj concept of efficiency here, not the more widely accepted one?

bonj2

Canrider said:
Uh, what?
Let me guess, we're using the bonj concept of efficiency here, not the more widely accepted one?

oh, sorry, yes i keep forgetting the 0.00000000000005% that's lost in the jocky wheel. :blush:

marky

Been away for ages -really missed all this. Have to say 'tho, I enjoy riding my singlespeed, probably because where I live is very flat, and I don't have to change gear much. Tried fixed - scared me half to death. What is indisputable though is that fixed is NOT more efficient than geared. Aesthetically more pleasing- probably. Simpler -definitely. Sexier -possibly. More efficient - I don't think so. Unless someone can demonstrate it with the appropriate physics? And no - lets not get into jockey wheel induced frictional losses.....:blush:

bonj2

Graham O said:
That is an incredibly arrogant statement. Why is it that only YOU can see the real reason for people riding fixed, and everyone else is deluding themselves? And your question presupposes that having a reason other than fashion is somewhat "special". Perhaps there are many reasons for wanting a fixie, with fashion being one of them. But to label all riders as following fashion is naive.
Well it's not only me that can see the real reason. A lot of fixie riders can probably see it, but choose to ignore it and pretend that it isn't the real reason.

Canrider said:
Cantilever axles like you find on a C-dale Lefty fork?

oh well they ARE a genuine work of crapola. And probably also a deathtrap. But not because of the axle, but because they've only got one fork leg.

Graham O

bonj said:
Well it's not only me that can see the real reason. A lot of fixie riders can probably see it, but choose to ignore it and pretend that it isn't the real reason.

Saying that it is not only you who can see the real reason is not good enough. Where is your evidence to back up your assertion that we only ride fixed for fashion reasons?

You say that some can "probably" see it. From a dubious statement, you then make assumptions about people's behaviour. Has it occurred to you that while your position has some truth in it, it is not the only correct position. Why can't you just accept that although fashion is one reason for fixed it isn't the only one?

Yes, some people may not want to admit to it, but on a scale of 1 to 10, what difference does it make to anyone? If you don't understand the simplicity of riding fixed, why does it annoy you so much that other people do understand it and enjoy it?

Fixed is more efficient Bonj, your mistake is in thinking of the transmission in isolation. Certainly the absence of jockey wheels reduces tranny drag by a tiny factor but fixed is no different to single freewheel in this respect. The real efficiency benefit of a fixed transmission comes from the fact that the pedals are mechanically linked to the total mass of bike and rider. Instead of having to pedal through top dead centre of the pedal stroke the momentum of your body weight drives your pedals (and your legs) over. This is more biomechanically efficient as your legs only drive through the power stroke, which is what they do best.
Once you are up to speed on a fixed wheel you settle in to cruising speed, its like 'freewheeling' but on a fixed this means riding along without exerting any pressure on the pedals. Your legs are still spinning but your muscles are not consuming much fuel or oxygen. Its like keeping your car in gear on a downhill rather than relying on the brakes. Tiny changes in the amount of effort going into the pedals control your speed. You can ride along using very little energy but because your legs are still turning your cardiovascular system doesn't slow down as it does when you freewheel. Fixed wheel riding is the finest cardiovascular activity you can do which is the reason that many pro cyclists still ride fixed over the winter, just as they have done for decades.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you are a just a wuss and you're just too much of a scaredy puss to ride fixed. If you were genuinely interested in dispelling some of the untruths and lies you claim people are writing you would at least give it ago. But no. Cluck, cluck, cluck.

Until you're brave enough to actually try it why dont you shut the fcuk up. Pontificating on a subject about which you have zero experience isn't big or clever.

bonj2

Twenty Inch said:
Ever flown on a plane bonj? Next time you do, have a look at the landing gear.

If it's good enough for a Boeing 747....
I wouldn't fly on a plane that only had one wing.

mickle said:
Fixed is more efficient Bonj, your mistake is in thinking of the transmission in isolation. Certainly the absence of jockey wheels reduces tranny drag by a tiny factor but fixed is no different to single freewheel in this respect. The real efficiency benefit of a fixed transmission comes from the fact that the pedals are mechanically linked to the total mass of bike and rider. Instead of having to pedal through top dead centre of the pedal stroke the momentum of your body weight drives your pedals (and your legs) over. This is more biomechanically efficient as your legs only drive through the power stroke, which is what they do best.
That sounds like an attempt at confusion.
Your legs only have to drive through the power stroke, yes, but it is only during this phase of the pedalling where there is anything other than minimal resistance to the pedalling.

mickle said:
Once you are up to speed on a fixed wheel you settle in to cruising speed, its like 'freewheeling' but on a fixed this means riding along without exerting any pressure on the pedals. Your legs are still spinning but your muscles are not consuming much fuel or oxygen. Its like keeping your car in gear on a downhill rather than relying on the brakes. Tiny changes in the amount of effort going into the pedals control your speed. You can ride along using very little energy but because your legs are still turning your cardiovascular system doesn't slow down as it does when you freewheel.
you're still using energy. In fact, probably at least 95% of the energy as you would be if you were riding a freewheeled bike. The energy required to get the pedal back up to the top is negligible, but it's the notion that it isn't which is what your fallacy that it's somehow like a kind of perpetual motion machine relies on.

mickle said:
Fixed wheel riding is the finest cardiovascular activity you can do
By what definition do you define 'finest'? It doesnt' use any upper body muscles for a start, like say swimming.
mickle said:
I'm coming to the conclusion that you are a just a wuss and you're just too much of a scaredy puss to ride fixed. If you were genuinely interested in dispelling some of the untruths and lies you claim people are writing you would at least give it ago. But no. Cluck, cluck, cluck.

Until you're brave enough to actually try it why dont you shut the fcuk up.
'Bravery' and 'scaredness' has nothing to do with it. If I decided I wanted to try it it would just be a matter of getting used to it, and the fixie brigade are very keen to say how fast you get used to it. It just wouldn't suit the type of terrain I ride on. i.e. up and down hills. If I lived somewhere that's as flat as a pancake like say, york, or even where I'm staying now, near lincolnshire, then i'd possibly consider it. But for my commute it would be absolutely ridiculous. Trust me on this.

mickle said:
Pontificating on a subject about which you have zero experience isn't big or clever.

Maybe not, but I am right.

I don't need to try it to know what it would be like.

RedBike

I used to commute on a fixie in a hilly area. Curiously it used to take me about the same time to do the journey on the fixie as it did my geared bike. However, the fixie always felt much harder work. (Fun though!)

Once you are up to speed on a fixed wheel you settle in to cruising speed, its like 'freewheeling' but on a fixed this means riding along without exerting any pressure on the pedals. Your legs are still spinning but your muscles are not consuming much fuel or oxygen.
I always found it much harder to maintain a 'cruising speed'. It only took a small rise and I would loose all momentum then struggle to speed back up again. Or while riding with a group I was forced to pedal at an uncomfortable rate.

bonj2

RedBike said:
I used to commute on a fixie in a hilly area. Curiously it used to take me about the same time to do the journey on the fixie as it did my geared bike. However, the fixie always felt much harder work. (Fun though!)

I always found it much harder to maintain a 'cruising speed'. It only took a small rise and I would loose all momentum then struggle to speed back up again. Or while riding with a group I was forced to pedal at an uncomfortable rate.

well my commute is very undulating. Lots of up then down, up then down, etc.

bonj said:
I wouldn't fly on a plane that only had one wing.

That sounds like an attempt at confusion.
Your legs only have to drive through the power stroke, yes, but it is only during this phase of the pedalling where there is anything other than minimal resistance to the pedalling.

you're still using energy. In fact, probably at least 95% of the energy as you would be if you were riding a freewheeled bike. The energy required to get the pedal back up to the top is negligible, but it's the notion that it isn't which is what your fallacy that it's somehow like a kind of perpetual motion machine relies on.

By what definition do you define 'finest'? It doesnt' use any upper body muscles for a start, like say swimming.

'Bravery' and 'scaredness' has nothing to do with it. If I decided I wanted to try it it would just be a matter of getting used to it, and the fixie brigade are very keen to say how fast you get used to it. It just wouldn't suit the type of terrain I ride on. i.e. up and down hills. If I lived somewhere that's as flat as a pancake like say, york, or even where I'm staying now, near lincolnshire, then i'd possibly consider it. But for my commute it would be absolutely ridiculous. Trust me on this.

Maybe not, but I am right.

I don't need to try it to know what it would be like.

Well then you really are an ignorant cock and I wash my hands of you. Your loss.

"If I lived somewhere that's as flat as a pancake like say .....where I'm staying now, near lincolnshire, then i'd possibly consider it."

Do you even read the shoot that you write?

You are a fixed wheel coward. Too scary for you.

Cluck.

bonj2

mickle said:
Well then you really are an ignorant cock and I wash my hands of you. Your loss.

mickle said:
"If I lived somewhere that's as flat as a pancake like say .....where I'm staying now, near lincolnshire, then i'd possibly consider it."

Do you even read the shoot that you write?

You are a fixed wheel coward. Too scary for you.

Cluck.

I somehow don't think you'd be quite so angry if you didn't know that I'm right. As in, right to reject the idea of even trying a fixie for my own personal situation and riding requirements.

Graham O

bonj said:
I somehow don't think you'd be quite so angry if you didn't know that I'm right. As in, right to reject the idea of even trying a fixie for my own personal situation and riding requirements.

Why do you persist in making these assumptions that you are right and everyone else is wrong, but refuses to admit it? Where is your evidence to back up these assumptions?

Okay, your commute and personal circumstances may mean that a fixed wheel bike is not suitable for you, but why do you criticise all fixed wheel riders who don't admit to a "fashion" reason for riding fixed? If you don't want or like fixed wheel, why do you spend so much time on a fixed wheel forum?

Top Bottom