Dissertation Questionnaire - Motivations for Road Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glyn16

Regular
Hi all,

For my University dissertation, I am investigating motivations for Road Cycling and the impact of new technology on the cycling experience, and am looking for road cyclists to answer my questionnaire. If you have 5-10 minutes to complete it to help my research, I would really appreciate that. Here is the link:

Survey Login

Thanks in advance!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It would be nice to explain why you picked 'road' cycling only. I ride mine on the road but it is my only transport. Are you referring to the lycra clad people whizzing around with wrap around shades and raci g bikes or people like myself in combats and boots just out for the day?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Done. Decently phrased questions, an appropriate introduction and an ethics disclaimer - all the boxes ticked :okay:

If it's about new technology, why the focus on Strava though?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Done that, then - when do we hear about the results of the ‘prize draw’?

Filled it in because I cycle on the road. Think that makes me a ‘road cyclist’, anyway.

OP
OP
Glyn16

Glyn16

Regular
It would be nice to explain why you picked 'road' cycling only. I ride mine on the road but it is my only transport. Are you referring to the lycra clad people whizzing around with wrap around shades and raci g bikes or people like myself in combats and boots just out for the day?
If you ride on the road then you are included, I wanted to leave it open to most, just not mountain bikers on trails.

OP
OP
Glyn16

Glyn16

Regular
Done. Decently phrased questions, an appropriate introduction and an ethics disclaimer - all the boxes ticked :okay:

If it's about new technology, why the focus on Strava though?
Thanks for the approval, appreciate that! I wish I could look into every possible angle, but I only have so many words and also wanted to keep the questionnaire to a decent length otherwise I could ask all sorts of questions, so the focus is on Strava but I will still touch on the use of GPS devices in general for example.

OP
OP
Glyn16

Glyn16

Regular
I'm aware that there are vastly different types of riding on the road/motivations behind it, so that is what I'm interested in exploring and why I don't just want one specific group to answer.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I filled it in but I’m not sure the impact Strava had on my cycling experience is borne out by the questionnaire. When I first started using Strava it was great fun measuring my performance stats and setting new personal bests. But then after a while I realised I was becoming obsessed with the stats and as a direct consequence losing much of the original enjoyment I discovered when I first returned to cycling. Many years later I still use Strava, but now I prioritise enjoyment over stats (which I largely ignore).

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Done. If I have any observations on the survey, Glyn, it would be that the section on what you enjoy about riding seemed to emphasise things like nature and scenery - many of us are urban bikers and don't have much scenery to enjoy, it's just about actually enjoying riding a bike. Also, for many I think it's the cost of the full subscription that puts them off Strava.

Good luck with your survey. It's been a pretty poor experience for students for the last 18 months, what with Covid, online teaching etc. It's not been anything like it should have been and young people have done so well to stick it out in such difficult circumstances. Best wishes with your studies.

OP
OP
Glyn16

Glyn16

Regular
I filled it in but I’m not sure the impact Strava had on my cycling experience is borne out by the questionnaire. When I first started using Strava it was great fun measuring my performance stats and setting new personal bests. But then after a while I realised I was becoming obsessed with the stats and as a direct consequence losing much of the original enjoyment I discovered when I first returned to cycling. Many years later I still use Strava, but now I prioritise enjoyment over stats (which I largely ignore).
Thanks, that's a very valid point. The change in opinion over time is something I didn't allow for with my questions, but now that you mention it I can also relate with that myself as Strava can take over, so I will be sure to comment when I write up my analysis that this is something I could have incorporated as it surely applies to many.

Done. If I have any observations on the survey, Glyn, it would be that the section on what you enjoy about riding seemed to emphasise things like nature and scenery - many of us are urban bikers and don't have much scenery to enjoy, it's just about actually enjoying riding a bike. Also, for many I think it's the cost of the full subscription that puts them off Strava.

Good luck with your survey. It's been a pretty poor experience for students for the last 18 months, what with Covid, online teaching etc. It's not been anything like it should have been and young people have done so well to stick it out in such difficult circumstances. Best wishes with your studies.
Again these are interesting points. I'm glad you've highlighted these perspectives I didn't account for, which is I suppose inevitable with the questionnaire format, but now I will be able to comment on these things anyway. You're right that it hasn't been nearly as good with online teaching but there's going to be more on campus teaching this year, and in the meantime it's good to have forums like this where you have all engaged with my survey and given me such useful feedback, making my dissertation possible even with covid! 👍

Top Bottom